MSI 8400GS + ASUS K8V-VM upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohGrFreak

ID.10T
I just want to be DX 10 capable if needed. What is the 8400GS comparable too in terms of performence? I have an ASUS 6800 Hybrid (Hybrid meaning it has the plain jane clocks and pipes but with the DDR3 memory), but it's getting long in the tooth, it's the oldest component in my computer right now (Bought it new 4 years ago).

I really don't know how far video cards have come since then, because this 6800 has taken everything I've thrown at it basically, but then again, the only big games I've thrown at it are HL2 Ep1, Doom 3, and NFS Carbon, which all play quite nicely.

Also grabbing an ASUS K8V-VM motherboard just so I can run a PCI-e card. I don't really want to go back to ASUS, but for that price, I'm willing to try them again.

Keeping my 1gig DDR400 and AMD 64 3400+, they have been reliable in the long run.

Please don't suggest anything over 60 dollars in either Mobo or Vid card area, unless it's really neccesary (low on funds like always).

Newegg.com - ASUS K8V-VM 754 VIA K8M890 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Newegg.com - MSI NX8400GS-TD256E GeForce 8400GS Support up to 512M (256MB onboard) 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

if you're going DX10, the minimum you need is an 8600GTS to take advantage of DX10 features with a decent framerate, anything else is not worth it, for the same price, go with an upper-mid range or upper-high-end DX9 card, for now, there's almost no visual difference between DX9 and DX10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom