moving programs

well, sort of. i thought i would be able to access all of the files and folders in my hard drive. but i have not been able to find all of them. i rely heavily on icons on my screen to find them all. i thought somehow i would not lose my entire old desktop screen.

Well, the screen of your desktop is just an graphical user interface. You should still be able to locate your old desktop contents by visiting:

(Old Drive's New Letter):\Users\(Your User Name)\Desktop

Your shortcuts will tell you where to find all of your old stuff, but keep in mind that the destination those shortcuts point to will not work anymore since your drive letter changed. This will, at least, let you locate what you're looking to find. I hope that helps, but if you have more questions, let me know.

just when i THOUGHT i had this all figured out, i found a road block, and i can not find a way around it. i have several databases in Microsoft Works (yes, i know its antiquated, but so am i! lol) that i can not access. initially, i thought i might have to install Works onto the SSD (even though it is in the hard drive which is now drive "M"), but that made no difference. i have literally hundreds of hours of work into these databases, and no other way to access it.any ideas???

Well, I recently found out that Windows 10 seems to run programs installed on a secondary drive without having to reinstall it so you could try to run it regardless and see if it launches. Nifty little feature. That being said, that's the risk you run when you use software that hasn't been supported in such a long time. If it craps out, you may be screwed. Personally, I don't have any other advice to offer for that. Perhaps somebody else may have some light to shine on it.

just when i THOUGHT i had this all figured out, i found a road block, and i can not find a way around it. i have several databases in Microsoft Works (yes, i know its antiquated, but so am i! lol) that i can not access. initially, i thought i might have to install Works onto the SSD (even though it is in the hard drive which is now drive "M"), but that made no difference. i have literally hundreds of hours of work into these databases, and no other way to access it.any ideas???

What version of MS Works? And what do you mean by "cannot access" them? Gives you a permission error? Gives a different error? Need more details.

Back
Top Bottom