moving programs

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
so i finally bought a SSD for my desktop. but i am not really certain how to move the 2 programs that i think will benefit me most to it. i know to make an image of my hard drive in case things go haywire (though i am not certain of how to check if it is copied correctly). i want to move windows (10) and the only game that i play on a regular basis (Simple Planes). i am not sure if i should move steam to the ssd also or not. the SSDis only 120gb, so i know i have limited space.

So, and this is just my subjective opinion so take it or leave it, I would tell you to put Windows on your SSD along with things like Chrome, Word, etc. Steam and all your games I would keep on a mechanical drive. You're not going to get that much of a performance boost (except for initial load time of the game) by having them on an SSD and the load time for a game doesn't make you win or lose. I also keep all documents, videos, pictures, and music on my mechanical and not on the SSD.

As for moving it, I would do a fresh install of everything on the SSD if you can. That will give you a clean slate to start with. Moving programs isn't worth it in Windows unless you're doing an image, in which case you're taking everything with you and not just what you want.

well, if i am going to install windows fresh onto the SSD, what do i do with the windows o.s. that is on my mechanical drive? and another question, do i make the SSD the "C" drive then? or just set the computer to boot from the SSD (if that is even possible?

Yes and yes. Your computer will set the solid state as your "C" drive automatically and you will boot to that drive. Once you have booted to that drive, you can power down and reconnect the second drive. From there, you can delete any Windows directories to free up space on the old mechanical drive. If you want to do a fresh install on everything, including the programs, just format the old drive. In any case, the old mechanical drive should show up automatically as your "D" drive (unless you already have a "D", in which case it will be the next available letter of the alphabet). Just be sure you're booting to the correct drive before you start deleting stuff.

This is how I've done my PC at the house. Happy to answer any additional questions you may have.

well, my son had to help me after i had a melt down from the stress of getting widows to install. why don't the sell hard and ssd drives ready to go instead of having to put you thru so much grief? this thing for me anyway was a nightmare! i hope its worth it. i had forgotten that installing a new drive is basically a new computer. getting this to be something close to what i had (as far as settings, programs, etc. is going to take a while. anyway, i have yet to plug in any of the other drives. what kind of nightmare is that going to be?

also, i am assuming that i will be able to access the files and folders on the old hard drive. but i have no clue how to do that.

well, i figured everything out, with one exception. and i can not make sense of it. the one and only true game that i play, now runs slowly, and the motion is jerky. its a fairly simple game as they go, it's "Simple Planes". i am not running a graphics card, just the graphics that are built into my I-5 6500. the game played a lot smoother before. the drive i don't think should have to do anything with how smoothly the game play goes.

Sorry, X. It's been hella busy at work and I haven't had a moment to jump on here in a few days. Did you get this all sorted out?

Back
Top Bottom