Moving OS from hdd to ssd - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Old 06-19-2016, 07:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Moving OS from hdd to ssd

Hello, I'm new here and I was wondering if I could get some help with this. I built a computer around a year ago and for budget reasons I decided not to get a solid state drive to start with. I've been upgrading over time as I found the money and I got the ssd a month or two ago. It came with some Acronis software, and I tried to clone the ~300 gb of my stuff from the hdd over to the 480gb ssd, but failed. From what I could gather online this happened sometimes.

As it's summer now and I have some time on my hands, I intend to try again. I chose to go the cloning route the first time around because it seemed the easiest way to go. I'm told a clean install of windows to the ssd will be more successful. But I'm really quite clueless when it comes to software.

How should I go about this? Does it matter if the disk and activation key I have are for Windows 8 and I've upgraded to Windows 10? Will the stuff on my hdd still be usable like it is now, or will uninstalling Windows mess with the other things on my hdd? Is there anything else I should know before I go through with this? Are there any processes other than a clean install I should consider?

Any help would be appreciated.

Arisaka99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Moving OS from hdd to ssd

Yes here is how to do a clean install to Windows 10 but remember the free upgrade is over July 29,2016.
Windows 10 free upgrade, clean install? - Microsoft Community
You should have been easily able to clone one drive to the other using Acronis though I haven't used the free versions that come with a hard drive in a long time. It is quite possible you may have to buy the full version to use for the ssd if the Acronis you are using came with the hard drive and not the ssd. You can try a free version of EaseUs Disk Copy first though.
EaseUS Disk Copy Freeware - Free Disk Copy, Disk Clone Software download to Clone Hard Drive

Rich-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 02:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Build Guru

To clone the OS drive you need to make the bootable software on a flash drive using the Acronis software. It won't fail then.
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire Mechwarrior Online = Thunderson PSN = PP_Mguire

Need Descent and Mechwarrior buddies!
If I helped you, give a thanks! ↓
Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

You can try Macrium Reflect Free. It can be run in Windows so no need for rebooting. Used it yesterday to clone a Laptop HDD.
Need to update my siggy!
joelm3103 is offline   Reply With Quote