Moving Hard Drive got queries! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 09:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Question Moving Hard Drive got queries!

Hey guys and gals, i've got a crappy samsung hd sitting in my old compaq, it is 60 gig, 5400 rpm IDE (or whatever really slow old one) i'm trying build a new computer. I was just wondering whether or not i could transplant this hd into a new computer (IT IS a PREFABRICATED HD Though)

I have Windows XP Home for my Compaq but no CD or DVD was supplied and it seems to be installed on the HD as pre-installed as well as recovery drive. Just wondering if this could be used on a new computer (spares me extra on having to fork out for a new windows XP)

Old 08-29-2005, 09:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS

Yes this drive can be used on a new computer. If it's a 60 gig hard drive, it's most likely a seagate (This is a cheap version they make, not the quality of the drives me and you can buy) which is 7200 RPM and 2MB cache.

However for the price of a new 80 or 160 gig harddrive, I would just get it.

Also, for the OS. Your CD Key may still work, however no DVD or CD means you CANNOT install it on another computer. It's pretty easy to find an XP CD however

Old 08-29-2005, 10:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Thanks for that.... I would have been nice just to add the hard drive to a new computer without needing a new XP! Can you ring Microsoft and ask for a replacement disk or something like that or can you create a image or recovery boot disk ( that you could do with i think 95, 98 or 2000)