Move to Intel?

Payne99

Baseband Member
I'd like to say my gratitude for the help on my posts over the season. I was hoping to see if upgrading my CPU+MB would yield a notable increase for gaming. Seeing as every other part seems to be okay for now and my 5970 seems to be running strong still. I was curious but would it hurt to invest in an ssd or does it not affect games as much as I thought. Thanks, just ballpark me anything.?
-written on iPad apologies for the grammar.

Last edited:
No, your CPU is just fine as is your RAM amount. With that CPU upgrading to something like a 3570k would only be very minimal gain in single threaded apps. Honestly, the 5970 is getting long in the tooth where GPU power is concerned. A single 680 or 670 would blow it out of the water easy and do good on your current CPU setup.

SSD doesn't help in FPS performance but an SSD does speed up every other aspect of your PC. The most noticeable being load times and boot times. The overall feel of your PC is snappier due to IOPS speed and the incredible latency change to an SSD. I recommend everybody to have an SSD, even if they have a Celeron with 256MB of RAM and Windows XP.

Ok I'll look into a 670/680. id be willing to upgrade to a 680 if the jump is that great of an improvement, as for the ssd is 120 sufficient enough for most rigs or should I aim for larger?. Time to find some benchmarks :) thanks

My 580 actually has more performance than a 5970. The 5970 is simply 2 scaled down 5870 GPUs on one card and those were comparable to the 470/480 in terms of performance. Due to the scaled down nature of the GPUs, driver compatibility and Crossfire scaling the 5970 was a beast for its day but not so great anymore. It'll get the job done, but that's it at 1080p. Sean went from 2 unlocked 6950s to a single 680 and was blown away if that is any indication of what I'm talking about.

120GB is fine for me, but I typically only have 2 games installed at once because I only play one game at a time. Some people want more, but you can always use the 1TB as a "large programs" storage drive if need be. The only games that really take advantage of an SSD's speed is BF3 and Skyrim.
I still have 15GB left of room while having BF3, GTA4 and EFLC, and War Thunder Beta installed. On top of that I have other programs like Photoshop CS5.5, Premier, 3DMark 11, and other benching programs installed.

i agree with Mguire...

upgrading your graphics card to a current gen card will give you the most performance gains... i bought my 680 on craigslist for $350, i saw one the other day on CL for $330. brand new they are $420+

a new gaphics card will help the most in gaming, but up until i got my SSD a few days ago, man they make a huge difference in every day tasks. i got my 128gig samsung 830 for $70 on sale...

If you gamed on 3 monitors then you would need the 4GB card but since you only have one monitor for gaming it wont make a difference.

And yea any eVGA will do if you want an eVGA card.

Back
Top Bottom