Mounting computer under table – No case

Spud5437

In Runtime
Hi all,

As you can see from the title I plan to mount my computer to the underside of my desk, there are a few reasons such as space saving but mostly because I want to and it's something to do.

I don't foresee any problems with the motherboard as I will mount some standoff's and fix the mother board to that. PSU and all in one CPU cooler should also be easy as will the drives. My problem or most difficult point that I foresee is mounting my graphics card – MSI GTX970 GAMING. Does anyone have any suggestions how they would fix this card to wood? Same as wall mounting I imagine.

I have a power button and USB hub which should make up the parts I'll be missing by not having a case.

Anything ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

p.s. would there be any issue if somewhere where to touch the Motherboard while the computer was powered on? If for some reason they where under the desk?

Last edited:
I don't foresee any problems with the motherboard as I will mount some standoff's and fix the mother board to that. PSU and all in one CPU cooler should also be easy as will the drives. My problem or most difficult point that I foresee is mounting my graphics card – MSI GTX970 GAMING. Does anyone have any suggestions how they would fix this card to wood? Same as wall mounting I imagine.
Well, your video card has to attach to the motherboard, so if your motherboard is mounted directly to the wood on the desk, then your card is connected to that.

I have a power button and USB hub which should make up the parts I'll be missing by not having a case.

Anything ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

p.s. would there be any issue if somewhere where to touch the Motherboard while the computer was powered on? If for some reason they where under the desk?
I don't see this ending well. Yes, touching the computer while under the desk is probably the biggest problem. If they hit their head on it, they could break cards off the motherboard since they aren't properly stabilized to a second point (where they would connect to the back of the case as well as the motherboard, for instance). In addition, static discharge can cause damage to the components. Finally, electrocution is a real possibility as well. It really would need to have casing of some sort.

Dust, dirt, human hair, pet hair, roaches, spiders, ants.
Curious humans and pets.
Exposed fans.
Exposed wiring.
Erratic air flow if any.
Higher possibility of ESD.
Higher chance of EMF/RFI interference.
Easy access to hard drives making them too easy to steal.

To be Honest, I think the system on a wall behind a Plexiglas plate is protected more and visually appeasing. Hell of a lot easier to work on if some thing goes out also.

I'd be a little leary of them. I've owned the Antec P180 and the P180se. Out to the left of their quality statement the two cases with the vented doors are the Antec's I mentioned. The last on the right maybe an Antec but I don't recognize it. They don't sell them and should not be using them in their ads. Most of their cases look like Antec knockoffs.

There's nothing like the real deal. Get an Antec P280 with the side window if you can find it. The non window is sold by Newegg. .

Back
Top Bottom