Motherboard Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuvakeisari

Beta member
Hi, I'm not a genious with computers so I thought of asking from you guys.

I ordered a computer a month ago with Asus P5RD1-V Motherboard. However, when I received the computer, the motherboard was broken. Well, sent it back and got a new one = Asus P5SD2-X. They told me that this is the same as what I received at first but an upgraded model. It is really so?? I have my doubts. I tried to find info from net but have no clue what so ever how u determine if something is 'upgraded'.

Thanks for those who have time and will to answer :)

K

well, when they sent you the new motherboard, I hope they also switched your RAM, because the new board usues 240 pin DDR2 ram as opposed to the 184 pin DDR ram from your first board.

only difference's between the 2 that I saw during a brief comparison at Newegg was:

A differnt chipset
DDR2 instead of DDR memory
2 less PCI Express x1 ports on new board
2 less SATA I ports on new board
2 less onboard audio channels on new board
3 less onboard audio ports on new board

ASUS P5RD1-V
ASUS P5SD2-X

Thanks

Well... I am using the computer right now and it works just fine. They must have changed the ram as well.

Would you complain about this? To me this does not sound like an upgrade! More like the opposite.

it all depends on what you paid for and what you got....

What company did you order the computer from?
Did you order it as a customer built (you pic the pieces) PC?
Is the ram that you got back the same brand as you previously had?
Is the AMOUNT of ram equal to what you origianlly had?
Was the CPU the same as the one in the previous PC?

If everything is the same, and the only thing that changed is the motherboard and memory (provided it's same brand and amount) I wouldn't worry about it... the loss of the 2 PCI express x1 ports is nothing to cry about... unless you were planning on using them, but there aren't many expansions cards avaialbe at this time (well, last time i checked a few months ago).... If you got a sound card with the PC, then the loss of the 3 onboard audio ports, and 2 audio channels doesn't do anything, as you wouldn't be using onboard audio...

The only thing that stinks is the loss of the 2 SATA I ports. Are you using an IDE optical drive & hard drive, or SATA? If you are using 2 IDE devices, then the loss of the 2 SATA ports won't effect you either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom