Motherboard Questions - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 12-19-2010, 06:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Motherboard Questions

I recently bought a Avertv HD DVR for capturing video gameplay

I have an HP Pavilion a6230n PC from about 2006...
HP Pavilion a6230n

...with a Nvidia GeForce graphics card from last year.
Nvidia GeForce GTS 250

My computer has both a PC-I E x16 AND a PC-I E x1 slot. The problem is that both slots are so close together that my Nvidia graphics card is completely blocking the PC-I E x1 slot for the HD DVR.

What I was wondering is if I could simply buy a new motherboard that Either had it's slots better placed for both cards to work or a larger motherboard with more slots.

I just got back from Frys and they told me that they had nothing in stock and that wouldn't be able to do that with anything they had there without completely re-doing the computer. He wrote down: [ATX AM2+ "Not micro ATX"].

I searched it and I have honestly no idea which one is the right one since I'm not hardware savvy yet.

And I came here to ask for your help for which motherboard I should buy that would be compatible with my computer, the two cards, and RAM chips. I've already had my power supply replaced and I don't mind if I have to get a new case.

Thank you in advance.
Closed Thread