Motherboard quest!

Status
Not open for further replies.

seetherage

Solid State Member
Hey guys, a very frustrating thing happend to me, in the process of installing a liquid cooler, i ended up with a dead cpu (so i thought) , so i bought a new Processor, and for my surprise nothing!. in the end the processor + motherboard burnt up, so now i have 1 cpu without motherboard, it is a 478 processor, so local stores nearby don't have any, this is the link:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=P43000E478-N

can you guys help me find a affordable motherboard for this processor? , thank you!!!

ohh yea, i forgot to ask something , just to be sure, the chipset on my motherboard, Gets Really hot!! I mean REALLY, in about 10 seconds of operation when i turn the supply on... it means that the motherboard is dead right? ....
and another little question ..accidently when i was mounting the computer, i had no fans or coolers on the cpu, and while the powersupply was on, i hit the pwr on and only noticed that it was actualy on, when i burnt my self on the cpu, it was only on for like 1 min, is the cpu ok?

Thx!

I really doubt the CPU is ok after running for a minute without a CPU cooler on it. I don't see why you're board ran for more than 10 seconds without sensing there was no CPU cooler and automatically shutting off. Your chipset temp has nothing to do with your board being dead. How many times does it beep at start up? Does it beep at all? You have to check these things before you go running off to your local computer store and wasting money on parts you don't need. My last question is what are the complete specs of this computer? Is it self built or a pre-built ( Dell, HP, something of that nature)

hey, no it dosnt beep, it used to but right when the chipset started heating it stoped giving me any response... before it would give a Audio Alert, "System Fail Cpu Test" or if i took the Cpu out, it would inform me. About it staying on for more than 10 secs on a high temp, i dont know, but my guess is the Chipset, was not working, and ended up screwing information.

I built it on my own, 2 years ago, it is"was" a Pentium 4 2.8 (478), 512mb ram, a fx5200 256mb vga video card, and this motherboard http://www.digital-daily.com/motherboard/asus-p4p800-e/ , are you sure the processor may be dead?... i got it in the mail today ... so... when i touched the surface , i heard that "water evaporating" type of noise..

No, i am using a liquid cooler, and the waterblock, was aside, my intention was not to turn the board on, but just to check if the power was going thru. (little led light goes on)

Well that probably fried the CPU. Does it do anything if you stick it in the board and try and boot up now?

No, it powers up, but no boot/video, that was before the cpu thing today.
Here is the eventline

CPU Stopped working ( at this time the motherboard WAS working ) -> After some tests to check if it wasnt the processor the problem, the Chipset started heating up really fast, over 100 F' in 10 secs, and the Audio errors stopped -> New CPU arrived, and just for the heck of it i tried it on , and as expected, did not work.

if it did fry the cpu, would it work if i returned it to see if i can get a another one, or at least RMA to be Sure?

Well, if the board is still under warranty then talk to Asus about an RMA. Thought it's pretty safe to say that CPU is fried I doubt that's your main problem if the board keeps giving you problems.

ohh thanks... but doesnt the heat on the chipset mean anything? ..., **** it, ill see if i can get the RMA or not..im not sure. one way or another ill buy a new motherboard for a second comp, and the same processor as mentioned above...
do you recommend any motherboard?
its hard to find good 478 boards besides online shopping.

I recommend you don't go with a 478 setup in the first place. Get a socket 939 setup for the same price and get better performance plus you can always upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom