Motherboard Installation? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 01:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Idealist Gamer

Default Motherboard Installation?

I intend to install a new motherboard on my own but before I do I was wondering if I could find a professional to do it for me. Is there anywhere I could go to have something like that done? If so how much would it generally cost?

Old 10-17-2007, 01:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to SirCyber
Default Re: Motherboard Installation?

pro techies... I don't know how much they charge, but me, I'd charge like 20$ to install, or less. it's actually quite simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak213
Knowledge is power. Power is nothing if it is not shared.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Idealist Gamer

To be honest the hardest part for me is unplugging everything without damaging it. I have two old crap PCs that I could probably practice on.

There are just wires going all over and I'm not sure quite how to work it all. I read an article or two but I'm still not quite sure.

My only other worry right now is what type of connection my hard drive uses. While I'm at it are there are "tool of the trade" I should own? The only one I know of is a grounder(anti-static shock) but I'm not sure if thats needed in this case.

Edit: Less than $20? What do you take? $7, some string, and a piece of gum? You could be like that helicopter rental in Family Guy and accept a good song and dance.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to SirCyber

lol... ok, quick tutorial. first, powersupply. power goes to a 16-pin connector on your motherboard. it's the biggest connector coming out of your powersupply. it has a little catch on it, just have to pull it back and pull out the plug. next, pull out any cards installed on your mobo. ok, so we have the psu disconnected, and cards out. your hard drive uses the flat grey cable, the IDE cable. just disconnect it from the mobo, it pulls right on out. same with from your CD-ROM and your floppy. the trickiest part now comes into play. there are some small cables from the front of your computer to the motherboard. these connect your front USB, audio, and power LED HDD LED, PWR button and Reset BTN. disconnecting them is easy, but putting them on again takes some finesse. you have to look on your new mobo. normally these connectors are found at the bottom of the mobo. if you look carefully, you will see they are actually listed. the wires are also listed. just match the pins to the connectors. make sure you have a cpu in your new board. reconnect the IDE's and power, and you are done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak213
Knowledge is power. Power is nothing if it is not shared.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Idealist Gamer

X_X you make it sound so easy. I can't spare the gum unfortunately.

Thanks though that should help. I just feel like I should be gentle and that some things are requiring far too much force so SOMETHING must be wrong. I'll try though.

Am I right in that the biggest misconception about computers is that they're extremely fragile? People seem to think that even opening the cover on the case could cause it to break. Realistically it seems as though you would have to be intentionally violent in order to really do any damage. With the exception of electric shocks and charges.

Then again maybe I'm just surrounded by the computer illiterate. My sister's fiancé is a computer programmer, do you think he might know some people who could do this if I don't feel confident enough?

Edit: Wow that is one monster of a PC you're building. Intel Core 2 Duo Extreme quad core?! Thats pretty intense. You didn't mention the Video Card though.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

lol..... its really simple. just match the connectors. thers no way you can connect something wrong unless the connections doesnt fit and you jam it in.

but if your still concerned. just take a picture of your computer before taking it apart so you have a reference.

EDIT: this guide talks about how to replace a PSU. but im sure it will help u with unplugging and pluggin in cables.
How To Replace Your Power Supply | Hardware Secrets

Opteron 165 cooled by Zalman 9500A LED // DFI Lanparty UT NF4-D // Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA 3.0Gb/s 320-GB Hard Drive // Sapphire X1950XT 256MB cooled by Zalman VF900 Cu LED // 2x1GB OCZ EL Plantinum // Enermax NoiseTaker 430W // Pioneer DVD & Combo Optical Drive // 20" Samsung 206BW Monitor // Logitech Z-2300 Speakers // Logitech G11 Keyboard and Microsoft Sidewinder mouse // Antec Nine Hundred Case
Closed Thread