Motherboard : How do I know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first one contains the BIOS BIN file, WinFlash.EXE, AWDFLASH.EXE, and WinFlash.sys.

The second contains the same (minus the BIOS file), plus PDF instructions, a README.TXT, and WINFLASH.HLP (WinFlash help file).

Download both, use the Winflash in the second to install the BIOS. Use the Help (F1) if you need to, as it is more current than the PDF.

Ok, I did that and this time I got "Erase Falure! Maybe Hardware Protected"

I reset just to see and payed close attn. to the boot (its pretty fast) and I did notice that the date of the Award BIOS is the same as this update. and on the last screen before the splash it still says "Unknown Flash Type"

Sure we dont have a jumper setting problem? I know I keep mentioning that but the reason I suspect it is, when I first installed this board it didnt run and since I didnt have internet at the time I had to figure it out on my own, and Im certainly no guru. I was using pretty old computer manuals from thrift stores and such because Walmart just doesnt cater to Computer Tech very well, and since I live in a cowfield I couldnt get a real help book. I know there are only a few jumper settings and maybe this thing wouldnt be running if they werent right but ......you tell me. could I be wrong in assuming that.
Also should mention, and it probably means nothing, but the jumpers a saw looked the same as the ones from a hard drive. I got this board used, but that isnt the problem is it? I mean they just have to make the connection, correct?

EDIT: Ok, I checked the jumpers. JP2 is BIOS protection and its enabled. JP1 is Clear CMOS and its set for Clear CMOS
So Im guessing if that JP2 (Bios Protection) wasnt enabled Id be having problems, LOL
OK so, How would I clear CMOS? I mean I know right now I just:

Turn off the COM and Diable the "BIOS Protection" and the "Clear CMOS" is already set, but then what.
1)Do I turn on the COM with those settings, (CMOS set for clear and BIOS Potect set for disabled)?
2)Do I wait a few minutes and then set the "Clear CMOS" jumper to "normal" like it should be and then start the COM and leave the BIOS Protection disabled to try the flash utility again?
3)Do I wait a few minutes and then set the "Clear CMOS" jumper to normal and the "BIOS Protect" back to Enabled and then start the COM?

One Last One. Would the BIOS Protection actually stop the CMOS from getting cleared when the battery got pulled out.
ok 2.....Am I way off.....CMOS.....BIOS.....BIOS.....CMOS, I just realized Im talking about two completely different things here. SEE I should not be messing around without help here, LOL.

Its possible but i seriously doubt it, but then again the BIOS flash might not be working with the BIOS protection on depending on how well it is designed an what it is intended to protect it might just not allow some changes to the bios or lock it down compleatly an only allow you to change the boot order ect.

Well, I disabled the BIOS Protection jumper and ran the flash utility again. It worked fine, updated it like it was suppose to. Reset the Com and the boot stoped. Got Message: "CMOS checksum error - defaults loaded". F1'ed and continued, no more "Unknown Flash Type" message. I reset Com again just to check. Booted fine. I saw the BIOS was the 2005 1.1b, so it took. Not sure what that checksum thing was, and I notice no difference at all in the Com. I guess they just stopped updating for this board long ago. I wont be getting another ECS unless its given to me though. I checked it via Everest and everything is the exact same except its now 1.1b instead of 1.1a.
Oh Well, Se la vie, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom