Motherboard : How do I know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Puddle Jumper......But, Is that CPU better than the AMD x2 4600+, If not Id rather start the build around that or a slightly better AMD CPU. Ive been running Intel for forever and Im ready to experience the other side of the fence for bit. IF ITS greener over there. Whatever is going to make COD4 look better.

When you get your rig up and are playing COD4, check out the clan I belong to. We're a bunch of fun-lovin' guys, but you have t be 18+ and be on TeamSpeak to be considered.

err-clan.com

Thanks Trotter....I was a member of FirstRangerElites for COD1 but when COD4 came out everyone slowly started disappearing until finally oneday the whole sight disappeared. So I guess they dis-banded. I know they have a clan for COD4 but I havent heard anything about it. And yea I have teamspeak and Im almost Uhm....worm food.

[Boring Part...go away]

Old enough to actually be imbarassed of my age, I guess....when your male thats....that certain age...and those of you who know, know what I mean. Too old to party without looking like an idiot trying to hold on to his passed youth, and not old enough to give up and die yet. Perfect internet gaming age!
I know, you young ones think YOUR the perfect age....but your not. The things your missing out in the Real World would make Gaming look like Turtle Wrangling. I can definitly say Ive had alot of great adventures! Wouldnt have missed a one.
"AHh...., to be sliding out of control down a mountain toward your own ultimate doom, palms raw and bleeding, pants virtually ripped from your legs,.....theres really few things like it."

Well, I just turned 40 a couple of weeks ago, and my daughter will be 20 this Thursday. Not everyone on here is a teenager (just the vast majority). ;)

Well, You Go! I'll be 40 in Jan.:eek:
And I wasnt really refering to here, although those stats surprise me. Talking mainly about the gaming worlds, though the majority of the members of any clan Ive ever been in were over 30 and upwards of 50+. Atari Generation isnt going anywhere!

Thanks Puddle Jumper......But, Is that CPU better than the AMD x2 4600+, If not Id rather start the build around that or a slightly better AMD CPU. Ive been running Intel for forever and Im ready to experience the other side of the fence for bit. IF ITS greener over there. Whatever is going to make COD4 look better.

The E2180 and 4600+ x2 should perform pretty similar at stock clock speeds with the 4600+ being slightly faster. The major advantage of the E2180 is its amazing overclocking ability. Even using the stock cooler you should still be able to overclock it to at least 2.3-2.5ghz with good temperatures. I have an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro and have my E2180 at 2.8ghz 24/7 and have had it up to 3.3ghz for benchmarking runs.

Ive never even slightly tried OCing, though I cant say Im not curious. I have this ECS and I would rather experiment with that, but if I found it interesting I might want to continue on a better Com.
So, Generally, whats the dangers of a complete novice making a pile of scrap from a decent computer messing around with that kinda thing? Ive never even opened my bios on this ECS except to arrange the boot devices for formatting and reloading windows, as a matter of fact, I noticed on the bootup i get a message "Unknown Flash something or other", I was going to ask someone here about that. Id like to learn a little about BIOS and Tweaking before I dive head first into concrete. Ofcourse, I say the samething to people about building/servicing theyre own computers....."your just scared of messing something up and the chance of you actually doing so to the point of not being able to fix it are pretty slim"

The chances of damaging system from overclocking are extremely low. As long as you do not increase the voltage above 1.5v and the cpu's temperature does not exceed 65c running prime95 or orthos you will be fine. Here is a guide for overlclocking Intel cpu's. It is pretty long but it is very thorough.

HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals) - Guide v1.6.1

Here are the links to a few programs you will need. (they are also listed in the guide)

Orhos- for testing stability.
Download Stress Prime 2004 BETA

Core Temp- for monitoring your cpu's temperature.
Core Temp

CPUZ- gives you allot of useful info about your system.
CPUID

I actually have "Everest Ultimate", but....pfsss. I just got it to monitor temps when I first but a computer together, then I pretty much dont see it again until the nextime I build something or re-seat a CPU or something. Its way over my head! ITS HUGE! lol
I have CPUZ too but, guess Im an idiot because I couldnt find my temps on it.

And the message is "Uknown Flash Type" whats that mean? (ECS 755 A2 Award BIOS 6/15/05)

CPUz will not show you temps pokernod its a clock speed monitor tool an helps you find info out about the system (exact processor, mobo name) I always have a copy on my flash drive when dealing with computers i haven't put together in the field.

The Unknown flash message sounds like you have tried to update the bios with a unrecognised type, try clearing CMOS an see if that gets rid of the message if not post back with any other error messages you get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom