Motherboard help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephen_s

Baseband Member
The motherboard on my computer got damaged so I got this one. Once I put it in what all will I have to do? Someone said I would have to reinstall windows but all I have are the "recovery disks" that came with this computer; it is an emachines. Will those work for this? I have used those to reinstall windows on it but with the motherboard that came with it. Will I be able to get information off the hard drive? Thanks for the help.

hmm.. that's a tough one. I am not sure but i do know that once you change the motherboard you defenitely have to reinstall windows. That i am posotive of, but i am not sure if the recovery cd will work. My first thought was that it wouldn't work but you can let someboy double check me.

Since I already have xp on that computer could I just borrow someone else's copy of xp? It doesn't seem like I should have to buy it.

yeah you could. Just kep it on the down low though lol you dont want people to think you are doing illegal stuff even though you already have windows xp some people still get mad about it. If one of your friends has windows xp though than just use it. I would. Especially if you are not planning on building a computer than the operating system would be useless to you so just borrow a friends.

you can't just plug in any ole cd key. you don't think they keep every CD key ever made on each windows disc, do ya? It is illegal to just 'borrow' a disc. You should buy a new one. The copy of XP you got with your computer is meant to only go with the computer you had as it was. That's why those computers are so cheap. They make deals with microsoft.

Ryan

Thanks for the responses. So the recovery discs definitely won't work? Even if I did borrow windows xp from a friend wouldn't I need a different cd key than him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom