motherboard help

Status
Not open for further replies.

sup2jzgte05

In Runtime
Ok, so here is the deal, right now I have a Compaq computer that I want to put a different motherboard in there with the same HD's as the Compaq had. I have a ECS K7S5A Mobo that I would like to put in. The 2 issues I have is I can't find my XP disk since I moved and I also lost my disk that came with the ECS Mobo. So I went on to ECS.com and downloaded the drives for the AGP, Audio, and LAN Drivers. Now there is a link for me to download the BIOS for the Mobo, (here is the screenshot of the ECS download)

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/tidalwavetiburon/ECSBiosImageforCF.jpg

I have no clue which one to download and I dont know how to flash to BIOS, so my first question is

-Do I need to Flash the Bios if so how do I do it?
-Will doing this mess up my HD's if I want to put the Compaq board (TR100)
back in and use the same drives?

Now my other thing is, since I have no clue where my XP disk went and since I'm using the same HD from my Compaq which has XP on it can I just plug that into the board and use those files?

Now my other question is do I have to make a bootable disk with the Drivers?

I know this sounds odd, but i have no idea what to do here. I have built a few PC's, but each time I have all the software I needed and this time I dont have ANYTHING, so I'm lost.

Now see I'm concerned because all 200gig of memory on this PC I NEED and is ALMOST irreplaceable, so I dont want to loose any of it.

Anyone have any ideas?

You do not need to flash your bios but you may need to do a repair install of XP due to the different chipsets and controllers. Odds are, it will not boot into Windows. If you have the product key, you can purchase the media from Microsoft for like $20 or download a copy of the media using bittorent.

I have the Key that is on the side of my compaq, but I dont have a clue where my XP disk went. I do this will it mess anything up to where I wouldnt beable to put the old board back in or would I loose any memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom