Motherboard for Gateway 831GM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, one more problem. The systen fan is running at 3800rpm constantly. The old pc varied the speed on need. The old sys fan is a four wire and the new board is 3 wire. Really loud at 3800rpm.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Do I need to buy a new fan or is there some software that I can download to control it? I went through the bios selections and didn't see anything. The smartfan feature is enabled...just not sure how to get it to work.

Not sure where to go from here. It is a 92mm fan.

hi, so do you mean that you currently have your 4 pin connected in the 3 pin one? if so then that might be why your fan is at that constant speed. i think the full 4 pin connection enables speed control and power management so not having all 4 pins connected might cause problems i suppose

Are you sure you are using the right fan header? Double check with your manual.

If that is the right header you don't have a lot of options. You could use a fan control panel, or get a quieter fan.

Bummer.

What kind of rpm do I need for this unit. It's currently running at 3800 and is loud.

Any fan recommendations?

What cooler did you purchase? What size fan does it have? Look for that size on NewEgg (hre).

The two main things are air flow (CFM) and noise level (dBA). The higher the CFM the more air the fan pushes. the higher the dBA the louder the fan. 30 dBA is about equal to whispered conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom