Motherboard for Gateway 831GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

spackler

Solid State Member
Looking for a recommendation for a new motherboard for this unit. It's a microATX. I'm just looking to replace the OEM that died. I'd like to keep the price under $80.

I found a Biostar GF7100P-M7S. I'm not that great with motherboards, but will this fit my pc? Also, not sure if this comes with a new processor or if I reuse the one I have.

Yes, it will fit in your PC.

No, it doesn't come with a processor. you will have to reuse the one you have. Be sure to get some thermal paster to reapply between your CPU and heatsink. This one is both good and cheap.

I haven't purchased yet. Funny enough I was just looking at that one before I came back here to check in. Looks good to me. My only concern was the size. It's a full 2 inches shorter than mine. Wondering what I'd miss with this. The only thing I can see is that I have two inputs on the front of the case that plug into a headphone and mic. Not sure I see those on this board?

Don't worry you'll be able to fit your mic, uss wires on that mobo no problem at all.
The old gigabyte mobo I had then and now this boring foxconn were to able to use my cables just fine.
The only thing that might get you is the ide drives like hdd and cd-rw or dvd-rw, but if you have regular sata drives for a hdd and dvd-rw your fine.
The choice is up to you really, in my opinion try to stay away from mobo's on newegg.com that had half of a 4 star rating and people mentioned that word RMA's to many times in tghe feedback section within a week's time.

I actually have one ide connection for the CD/DVD drives and one sata connection for the HDD. So I should be ok there?

Thanks for the assistance.

You should be just perfectly fine with setup you currently have right now.
Let me ask you this, what type of cpu do you have and what actually happened with your pc ?
I know you said the motherboard died, half the time when a mobo dies it will go dead and leave your other components alone other times it will take out the cpu, which I am hoping that is not your case.

Here's the deal, go ahead and get the motherboard now, in the mean time while it's headed your way have a friend with computer skills or possibly a computer shop test your cpu.
I don't want you to get that new mobo and you put in the cpu and your computer won't boot.
I've taken that route twice and have not been happy at all, that was when I was dealing with socket 478 p4's and celeron's back in 2003....

The problem with the Gigabyte board versus the Biostar is the graphics chip. Sorry, but Intel's graphics crap blows. The 7100 will work MUCH better. This is moot if there is a graphics card involved, of course. Since one was not mentioned, I would go for the 7100 board.

Be sure to toss in plenty of RAM as all onboard graphics also uses onboard RAM (the same RAM your computer is using at the time). 32-bit XP and 32-bit Vista can only address 3.5Gb of RAM, so add in what you can. 4GB kits (2 x 2GB) are very inexpensive and would max out your RAM for you.

I got the board last Thursday. So far it has been a nightmare.

The CPU cooler from my old board attached with screws, the board needed the plug in type. So I bought new CPU cooler. Fine.

Now, the effing ram from the old board doesn't fit. WTF? I now have to buy new ram??

What's next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom