Motherboard Compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dakaggo

Idealist Gamer
I plan to replace my old motherboard in a few months (the old one only has PCI slots) so can someone tell me how to find out whether or not my processor will be compatible with a different motherboard? I have a pentium 4 3.00GHz if that helps any.

Edit: I read that all intel processors use LGA755 slots so is it safe to make that assumption in this case?

I plan to replace my old motherboard in a few months (the old one only has PCI slots) so can someone tell me how to find out whether or not my processor will be compatible with a different motherboard? I have a pentium 4 3.00GHz if that helps any.

Edit: I read that all intel processors use LGA755 slots so is it safe to make that assumption in this case?

yes.. some Socket 775 boards have p4 support, but some are just Core 2 Duo/Extreme/Quad compatible..

Alright so I should check that it has a 755 slot and then check whether or not it supports pentium 4?

I haven't picked one yet but I'm going to within a week or two. I need a cheap one so it will probably support pentium 4 as opposed to the better ones.

If anything you could help by finding a cheap one that will support pentium 4 and includes an AGP slot and one with a PCIE slot would be preferred for future expansion. I mean I don't need 8 of each just one of each will do. I still don't know what connectors I need for the other stuff though.

I'm still learning about motherboards. I believe I need to check for hard drive compatibility as well right? Also something about power. I'm pretty much a noob but I pick up quickly so after reading a couple of tutorials I should know a thing or two.

I'm reading this: PC World - Motherboards at the moment.

I haven't picked one yet but I'm going to within a week or two. I need a cheap one so it will probably support pentium 4 as opposed to the better ones.

If anything you could help by finding a cheap one that will support pentium 4 and includes an AGP slot and one with a PCIE slot would be preferred for future expansion. I mean I don't need 8 of each just one of each will do. I still don't know what connectors I need for the other stuff though.

I'm still learning about motherboards. I believe I need to check for hard drive compatibility as well right? Also something about power. I'm pretty much a noob but I pick up quickly so after reading a couple of tutorials I should know a thing or two.

I'm reading this: PC World - Motherboards at the moment.

you want AGP and PCI-e??

then you want an ASrock mobo since they support both...

Well I have an AGP card I want to use but any future cards I buy will be PCI-E so I really would like both. I believe I saw a few online the other day. How much would an ASrock mobo cost? Do you think it would support pentium 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom