Motherboard Chipset Problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cravingsleep

Baseband Member
I've decided that it is time for a graphics card update, my GT 120 is just getting too old and overheating way to quick ( I cleaned it but to no success) anyway my motherboard is a FMCP7AM with a nForce 730i chipset. Using CPU-Z its says the general memory is DDR2. Most of the graphics cards today are DDR3 so how can I find out if the mobo. will take DDR3?

Also because of the chipset can it take ATi cards?

Any help is appreciated, including recommendations, thanks.

PC Specs (just in case)...

CPU: Core 2 Quad Q8200,
Memory: 4gb DDR2,
PSU: I think 600W but could be wrong,

Motherboards don't really care what brand card you use, the only time this may be an issue is when you are running two cards in SLi or Crossfire.
Also, your system memory (DDR2) has no bearing on your graphics card memory.
DDR3 is the most current system memory, DDR5 is on most current graphics cards and they work fine together.

Need to know your budget, and a positive I.D. of your PSU would be helpful, before making recommendations.

It does not matter what the GDDR is. That is separate from your board's RAM needs.

Is this the computer? I couldn't find that exact model with a 730i chipset. Gateway Support - Specifications

What brand PSU is that? Open the case and have a look at the PSU sticker. Knowing OEM brands, they skimp on the PSU.

Edit: ninja'd

We need the model name as well. If it's just a OEM, most likely it will not have the amperage to run your card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom