Motherboard broke, need assistance choosing a new one without losing my files. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades

Old 10-11-2016, 05:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Motherboard broke, need assistance choosing a new one without losing my files.

So I currently have a P5N32-E SLI motherboard which broke last night. After taking it into the store I was told that I could either buy a similar/same motherboard and keep everything on my computer or get a new one and wipe it all.
I opted to keep my files etc.
Since my current/ex motherboard is very old and hard to purchase, any help on which similar models which would withstand modern gpus/processors would be appreciated.
Any reply would help,
thanks

filipfilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: Motherboard broke, need assistance choosing a new one without losing my files.

There aren't any similar models as that stuff is about 10 years old now. If you're lucky you could find another 680i, 750i, 780i board or P45 on Ebay/Amazon but ideally you should probably upgrade. All of your files will be on the HDD regardless of what your platform is. The issue is whether or not Windows will tolerate the platform upgrade or not. If you have another computer or a friend that could help I suggest backing up your stuff before continuing with any COA.

Need Descent and Mechwarrior buddies!
If I helped you, give a thanks! ↓
Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Motherboard broke, need assistance choosing a new one without losing my files.

Ah ok, considering my computer wont launch as the motherboard is currently not working, If I got a completely new motherboard would that wipe my files and data? I'm ok with this reset as long as thats one of the correct options forward.
Thanks
Old 10-11-2016, 06:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

No, your files won't be wiped. Worst case scenario is when you install new gear Windows will blue screen while trying to boot. That's why I said use another computer if possible to get your files by plugging in your HDD and copying over any data you want just in case you need to reinstall Windows. The only way you'll lose info on your drive is if you do a format at any time.

What version of Windows are you using?

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
No, your files won't be wiped. Worst case scenario is when you install new gear Windows will blue screen while trying to boot. That's why I said use another computer if possible to get your files by plugging in your HDD and copying over any data you want just in case you need to reinstall Windows. The only way you'll lose info on your drive is if you do a format at any time.
+1 to this.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

My computer is currently running Windows 10.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Build Guru

Shouldn't have too much of an issue then.

Access to my Plex PM me.