more and faster RAM > better shared gfx performance? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 09:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default more and faster RAM > better shared gfx performance?

i got integrated Intel(R) 82852/82855 GM/GME 64MB gfx on my HP notebook and i wonder whether it would perform better if i added more (and faster) RAM.
now i got 512MB - 2x256 MB - dxdiag and some other sysinfos say it's 478MB..

i'm just considering putting in 2 kingstons 512 MB DDR2 PC-533 (PC2-4200) instead. would it make my gfx perform better? what does supported memory types here mean - that this chipset wouldn't run with those kingston DDR2 533MHz RAM (what would happen if i installed that new RAM anyway?)????
if so , is there any other way to somehow improve performance of this #%&! intel shared gfx?

my present 3D settings on intel extreme graphics 2 for mobile (newest driver 6.14.10.4497 - 7. feb. 2006):

asynchronous flip - on
triple buffering - on
flipping policy - flip
deph buffer bit deph - default ---- would there be any significant loss of graphics quality if i set that to 16 bit deph buffer?
force S3TC texture compression - off
force FXT1 texture compression - off
driver memory footprint - high
texture color deph - 16 bits per texel ---- what does this exactly do / is there any significant loss of graphics quality while on 16?
anisotropic filtering - default ---- in CS 1.6 theres neither difference in frames, nor in quality while on/off

the only reason why i'm wondering about that is because i'm trying to get best performance on CS 1.6 (CS:S lags so bad that it's impossible to play, no matter whether playing on LAN on online, although on the HP game compatibility page of that gfx there's only one problem listed with HL2 which has got nothing to do with low fps and high pings) while playing on 1024x768x32 60Hz, since i get about 25-50fps, not more.. on my other notebook (HP nc800 - almost same specs but radeon 9600 64MB) i got 98-100fps!
since i have a 4MBit xDSL connetion with FP i dont think this has any negative effect on my fps, although the average ping was actually better before i turned FP on (>interleaving off), quite absurd, isn't it (my ISP's hotspot is just a few blocks away from me)?

thx

Old 04-20-2006, 10:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

having the ram probably won't boost your graphics adapters performance unless you can share more memory with it. it will however boost general performance. make sure that ram is compatable with your laptop

Old 04-20-2006, 10:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

I doubt you would be able to share more memory with your integrated graphics card. But yeah, it should boost your frames a bit, you will mostly see the performance increase in everyday use.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

i'm not sure but it looks like your laptop supports ddr memory, NOT ddr2. differnent # of pins so it won't fit. just make sure before you buy.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

i just checked about DDR2 compatibility an it only says PC2100 DDR-266MHz or higher RAM, doesn't say anything about DDR/DDR2/SO-DDR DIMM or amount of pin

this kingston RAM has 200 pins - shall i open the case and check whether it is somewhere written, how many pins my present RAM have?

concerning fps perf. - it's unfortunately impossible to share more memory than 64MB, if you have 256MB RAM or more - the chipset takes RAM according to how much it "thinks" it should be necessary and there's no possibility to force it use 64MB permanently. i tried with powerstrip and almost everything's unchangable there. somewhere i read that actually the only way to OC shared gfx is to OC system RAM

however, i suppose there still should be some increase in gfx performance since that new RAM runs at higher frequencies than my present..?
Old 04-21-2006, 05:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Techie

lol it looks like ddr and ddr2 notebook memory both have 200pins. but i'm pretty sure you can't use ddr2 in ddr systems. if you put faster ram than what your motherboard supports, then it will just downclock to whatever speed your motherboard supports. the only performance increase you'll notice is from having MORE ram.. not faster ram.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Thats right, it is not possible to use ddr in ddr2 slots.