Is the monitor the cause of my problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That looks like a cool graphics card for a good price. Only problem is that they recommend a 450 watt power supply; mine is 300 watt, plus I will be overclocking my CPU.

Does the computer monitor hooked up to HDMI make the game look much better?

That looks like a cool graphics card for a good price. Only problem is that they recommend a 450 watt power supply; mine is 300 watt, plus I will be overclocking my CPU.
Then you will also need to upgrade your power supply. Look for something in the Antec Earthwatts range, for example this:

Newegg.com - Antec earthwatts EA500 500W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.0 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Or for $10 less this would be just as good
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Does the computer monitor hooked up to HDMI make the game look much better?
It doesn't make games specifically better, but it does carry an overall better image quality.

Ok, now what about this:

450 Watt or greater power supply with 75 Watt 6-pin PCI Express power connector recommended

Ok, now what about this:

450 Watt or greater power supply with 75 Watt 6-pin PCI Express power connector recommended

What about it? Both those power supplies meet those requirements. In fact the Antec I linked has two.

Seeing as this is a prebuilt (or so I believe), have you upgraded the motherboard? If not, chances of actually overclocking the processor, is slim to none.

Ok, now what about this:

It's really not about the watts, it's about the amps on the +12 volt rail. I would be looking for something 25+ amps on the +12. and i know the Antec Earthwatts will hit that.

Yes the motherboard is stock. How can I tell if if it overclockable or not?

You have an ECS 945GCT-M3. It has a Clock Ratio adjustment, but most people haven't had any luck actually getting the option to show (probably because of a BIOS update, or Manufacturer's edited BIOS.). To overclock your processor, you'd need a new motherboard. I have no idea on what good Intel boards are, but if you do want a new motherboard, look into either the G31/G35 or P43/P45 chipsets, as I've heard decent things about those, and they usually pop up in this forum.

I have an Intel Dual Core E2140 which runs at 1.6 ghz at usual 40 degrees Celsius. I usually judge based all CPUs based on the GHz number alone. So that is how I concluded that mine wasn't very good at only 1.6 GHz. Is this right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom