Is the monitor the cause of my problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

explorer7

Baseband Member
I have a Gateway monitor that has a lame resolution of 1024x768. It has a refresh rate of 60 hertz. I also have a GeForce 8500 GT, and an Intel Core Duo which runs at 1.6 ghz. I read in another article on this site that the monitor can be the cause of my problems, which are that my computer displays most video games with jagged edges, and it can't run any dynamic lighting at all or it lags. Some games it has a hard time running are Ghost Recon Advance Warfighter 2, and Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl. The dynamic lighting is the biggest problem. Could my monitor be the cause of this?

No, your monitor is definitely not the cause. The 8500GT is not designed for gaming, which will be why you cannot run your games with dynamic lighting or anti-aliasing (AA gets rid of the jagged edges you describe).

If you want to be able to run your games with good lighting and AA, then you'll need to upgrade your graphics card.

Any suggestions? I have decided to just upgrade my graphics card, and overclock my CPU. I'm looking to spend $150 at the most. Is that enough money? I understand that I can not get the best graphics card out there, but I want something that can run games that are one or two years old and high settings.

I don't get it, how can I have a graphics card, Geforce 8500GT, that cost $110 dollars and it is not made for gaming? Or did you mean to say that it was not meant for serious gaming?

Different video cards have different power requirements. What is the make and model of your existing power supply so we can try to figure what's available in your budget range.

did you buy that card recently? it might have been worth $100 sometime ago, not sure how long ago. but for that amount now, you could get a good 4850, but it would probably get bottlenecked by your cpu.

and you are also limited by your psu, like said above.

I don't get it, how can I have a graphics card, Geforce 8500GT, that cost $110 dollars and it is not made for gaming? Or did you mean to say that it was not meant for serious gaming?

How long ago was it when you bought it? You can now buy an 8500GT on NewEgg for $40 shipped (though nearly all of them are now deactivated, it's a fairly old card).

And when I say gaming, the 8500GT is alright for actually playing games that came out a year or so before it did. It wasn't meant for gaming when it was released, and that was three years ago. The 8600 and 8800 (and various versions of the 8800) were the gaming cards of the 8*** series.

For comparison, look at our graphics card rankings page:
http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/graphics-card-rankings-139202/

The 6800GT, which was in my old computer and could just about play Oblivion on low at your resolution, is ranked higher. And it's two years older, from a tech standpoint.

Here are the specifications on my computer, which is all stock except for the graphics card. Scroll down to the see the power supply information.:

???????????????????????

For some reason 3 results came up in the power supply section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom