Modified custom build- need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwoods25

Beta member
Hello,

I'll try to keep it short and sweet, here's a history on this pc build:

I purchased a pre-built custom pc about six months ago, I got it for a deal, so expected to put some work into it eventually. The pc ran (general, no gaming, etc) for maybe a month then started showing signs of a failing hard drive & video card, then not booting windows at all.

I've since replaced many of the "original" parts with new ones, the most recent upgrade being RAM, the others are the video card and a new 1tb hd w/ win xp.

Here's the current combo:

Foxconn 945P7AA mobo w/ onboard sound
Intel processor- I don't know what model
500w power supply- I don't know what brand/model
CD/DVD RW
AeroCool card reader/USB drive
EVGA 8400 GS graphics card (new)
Belkin wireless PCI card
WD 1TB SATA hard drive (new)
2 x 2GB Kingston DDR2 PC2-5300 RAM
All drivers are current

Before I replaced the RAM and after the new HD and vid card, I was able to run xp, although it was really slow... applications ran at normal speed but the OS was seriously lagging. I would eventually get a blue screen with a variety of "stop" codes and have to restart.

Now, with the new RAM, I can get windows up (with BIOS fail-safe defaults and only one stick of RAM) but the blue screen comes even sooner and xp still takes a minute or two or more to boot up. *If I boot with both sticks of RAM, I get the black "windows did not start successfully" screen, and I'm not able to navigate to any other options except "Start windows normally".

So, I have two choices: get the pc running or drop-kick the whole thing from my 3rd story balcony and start over.

It seems that there might be a problem with hardware compatibility- any suggestions?

I would appreciate any help you can offer- will trade for interior design advice :p

Cassie :drool:

Well, your case, RAM, hard drive, optical(s), card reader, and wireless card are all reusable. the CPU might be, but is probably a crappy one. The 8400, to be honest, blows... it will work for basic stuff, but not for gaming.

The main question is... what would be your budget for putting together a rig that works right? We can pop out several different lists for you in nothing flat, but need a general idea of what you have and can afford.

Thanks for responding! I don't feel so alone in the world now :)

Is there no way to make the computer work without buying any new parts? I know it's a crappy vid card but it's only for standard home use- no gaming.

My husband's about to make me sell the parts on this build and go to a DELL store! Noooo!!! What is the cheapest possible solution? Is this combo hopeless?

Thank you!
Cassie

I doubt that it is your CPU giving you the trouble. Try booting with only one stick of RAM in it and see if it works, then try booting with only the other stick. It is possible your RAM is bad, or your mobo. If it can boot with both sticks of RAM individually, it is probably your motherboard giving the trouble. Or even try using your old RAM that you know worked. mainly you want to eliminate teh RAM as the problem to see if it is the mobo.

If it turns out to be the mobo, here 's one:
Newegg.com - Foxconn G31AX-K LGA 775 Intel G31 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
$50. It ain't fancy, but it should do the trick.

If you can get it to boot you can use this to keep from having to reinstall Windows. It might work in Safe Mode, I really don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom