Modified Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellothar121

In Runtime
Okay, I've taken suggestions from a few boards (this being the most prominent; I've been pulling alot of advice from here.), and I need to have someone okay/improve this before I show my mom; She says that if I pull off perfect scores this 9-weeks (more importantly, this semester), then I can build my PC over the summer.

I'm trying to keep the prices low, so that I can buy more at once, so please keep that a factor when you post :)

CLICK HERE to see my list.

EDIT: I have a keyboard/mouse/monitor, so that's a non-issue :)

get xp not vista
also try to aim for a 120gb hd
the floppy drive is useles now adays, but a flash stick instead

Sorry, forgot to mention those things; Those're actually the two things I wanted to say something about.

I wanted to get an 80GB 'cause I'm only going to have the OS and programs on it; I'm planning on getting another 160 or 250GB HDD sometime in the near future.

The Floppy Drive is for flashing the BIOS, installing drivers, etc. I don't know about you, but I don't have a spare FDD lying around anywhere :D

Why not Vista? I've heard a few kinks that need to be worked out, but from what I've gathered, the stuff that I have works okay with Vista x32...

EDIT: ALso, I just remembered that I have a 30GB USB Hard Drive (From an Old laptop that broke >_>) and it has XP on it. I'm not sure if that will work with it, but if it does, I might just boot from that if Vista needs to wait for a service pack.

A laptop hard drive won't work in a desktop. I'm not 100% sure. Plus, the XP on it, will only recognize, the laptop, it was installed on.

umm....the laptop harddrive could work, he said its usb, so most new mobo's support boot from usb. if possible, do you have a spare xp or even 2k disk laying around? id put that on the usb hdd, and have vista on the internal. and if a problem arises with vista, boot from the usb, and just use that till the kink is worked out.

id still say wait on vista until sp1 comes out, which im sure will be within the next few months.

Unfortunately, I don't have a spare XP Disc; Infact, the only one I had (The restoration disk for the laptop I'm currently using) got a hair-breadth crack right down the middle; It goes halfway to the center (Not all the way to the opening, though...)

I don't plan on finishing the build until early July; I'm going to order 3 or 4 of the 13 things I need a week, and put it all together 2nd week of July, if everything works out right :)

So, with the exception of my OS, FDD, and HDD (Unless there are better deals elsewhere), Could I get a stamp of approval from anyone?

Thanks!
~Ello

My two cents:

Forget the wireless and go with a wire.

Get a bigger drive to begin with and partition it. you can transfer the partition to a separate drive later.

Go with XP for now, unless you just have to have Vista. Too many things just aren't ready with Vista. Maybe after they get a service pack out...

7600GS will work, but go for something better if you can. The X1600's, X1800's, and X1900's can be used to Fold (hint, hint).

Unless you just love the way the XION looks, you can save a little by getting a case without a PSU that you are going to just throw away anyway. The CoolerMaster Centurions are cheap and good.

I'm going to try to wire myself in, but I need wireless; I'm in the corner of my house, so the only type of wire I'd be able to reach to my room is the 100m type, and it doesn't look pretty; I used to have a giant phone cable running along the ceiling. We don't have in-ground ethernet (Yet...).

I didn't think about the partition idea; I think I'll go with the 160GB Western Digital Caviar, in that case :)

Vista isn't a necessity, but I don't feel like having to upgrade 3 months into finally finishing my PC, when SP1 DOES come out, and I have to install a new OS.

I don't mind not having the XION, but I don't think the Centurion is the right case for me; Something with a good airflow:noise ratio, lots of lights in the front, a front panel to cover up the Optical Drives when they're not opened, and preferably a side-panel window (though that's not a necessity, if it looks okay without it.).

Thanks!
~Ello

P.S. Okay, time to go look through the bargain rack at NewEgg; gonna find a better case >__>

EDIT: I just did a Power Search, and I didn't find anything that I liked better than the XION. Does anyone know if there's a better deal for it, anywhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom