Mobo woes, move on or kick the bucket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nlite, that was it. So there's not one for 7, OK.

Guess I can easily reinstall. Now that I have all my programs in one place ;)

Thanks for the help, Mak! :thumbsup:

I really don't think switching to AMD would be worth it at this point. A Phenom II X6 isn't noticeably faster than a Core i5 760, in fact it's actually slower in SC2, and it would leave you trying to sell two systems instead of just one.

Have you checked to see if Asus will cross ship you a replacement board? I'm not sure if they are one of the manufacturers that will do that or not but it's worth a try and would make things a lot easier if they agree to it. If they won't go for it I would try and make due with the 775 system until you can get your board back.

Sadly no. There was a tool called nlite that you could do this with XP. There was a similar tool called vlite for Vista, but there is no tool that can be used to do it with Win7.
Yea there is.

Anyways, theres no point to change over. 8GB of RAM is overkill for what you do anyways so id say just order a new board, RMA your current, and sell it to get your money back so you still have a PC. If you overclock your 760 it would outperform an X6 in games anyways because itll be a while yet before games use even 4 cores natively. There is no true multi-threaded game, only certain things being offloaded to other cores.

Last time i check the vlite site, you had to use hacks and tricks to get the software to operate with Win7. Not something i would suggest users to do just to create a custom install media. I just looked and their forums and people are having issue with certain features cause they messed with vlite with Win7. So from what i see vlite still isnt 100% compatible. There are tools like WAIK and WSUS but those are not really going to be of help.

Its not Vlite because Vlite is made specifically for Vista and not 7. It may work in certain areas but if you use it expect a borked OS in the end. The one i was playing with was called 7Customized or something like that. Brand new program for 7. Worked pretty good but IMO 7 doesnt need anything like that. Now that you bring it up though, ill prolly seek out the program again to customize my OS to install key things i install absolutely every time i install a new OS onto a PC.

I think thats another one yea. Not exactly sure why it wouldnt be legal, and if it wasnt legal im sure a mod wouldnt be talking about it. Your not modifying the software in any way nor are you going against any copyright laws.

I tried a 7 crossover on my dad's comp and even with identical hardware i still had issues. I believe RT 7 is legal, remember talking to one of their tech a while back about legalities.

call me lazy but I didn't read all the posts, what's wrong with a clean install?

Also, on a side note: I don't have the post requirements to reply on your FS thread regarding the Q6600 but I need a replacement while my e8400 is being rma'd and would be very happy to buy yours asap.

sorry mods, but I don't have time to go and think of 70 original posts so I can make one post in his thread. :|

Haha. No problem, vortex.

This thread was originally about getting a new i5 board, using my 775 until I get my RMA'd board back, or go AMD.
I decided to just get a new board, send in the RMA, and when it comes back, sell it.

Then it turned into, can I just flop over to a new motherboard, 99.9% no, i found out.
So I have to load my some 30 applications over again.

As to the Q6600, You are 3rd in line for that. CarnageX wants it if he finds his CPU defective. Secondly a old friend of mine wants it to replace it on his family's computer. I can send a PM to you if I hear from any of them. ;)

Yeah I'm sort of stuck with your dilemma just with the proc.

And it should feel nice to have a clean system upon reinstall. I know when I did a clean 7 install it was great because after a while you just collect programs you don't want without realizing it.

3rd in line, not a very wishful #. Keep in mind I have the $ ready to buy but I respect there dibs, I need a CPU! maybe I'll fold and upgrade then sell the e8400 when I get it back. :|

It pivots on if I can get your q6600 so pm when you know. I can't figure out how to pm here btw lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom