MOBO upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

obxdude018

Baseband Member
I have a amd 780g mobo, I am upgrading my system and now looking at maybe replacing the motherboard as well, what other kind of motherboard is an upgrade to this one, I need the upgrade to support amd phenom II x4 940 and ddr2.

ATX or mATX? Any AMD chipset 780g or above should handle it... even the 770 will do it. Just make sure you don't get a AM3 mobo, as they require DDR3.

The 790GX looks very nice. ;)

Can't really tell on the atx or matx, I know that revolves around the mobo size, my comp is the dx 4200 series, my board has 1 pci-e, 2 pci slots.

ATX or mATX? Any AMD chipset 780g or above should handle it... even the 770 will do it. Just make sure you don't get a AM3 mobo, as they require DDR3.

The 790GX looks very nice. ;)

Even my 760 supports the 940. This questions needs more details. What ELSE are you lookin' for? Would you like SLI/Crossfire? Any other external PCI cards to be ran on the board, if so, how many? How many SATA/IDE devices are you going to be running on it? Any details we can get would be nice.

Well I am looking to run dual graphic cards, and I am filling my last pci slot with an auzentech 7.1 sound card and I might add an extra hdd, and blu-ray burner.

From low to high:

BIOSTAR TFORCE TA790GX
GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-UD4H
ASUS M4A79 Deluxe

Any of these would fill your needs. Though I think I would suggest the Gigabyte over the others, as it's reasonably priced, has more USB ports (if you need them), and more PCI and PCI-e slots out of the bunch.

*edit*
From Trotter's post, if you're not going to be upgrading the case, etc., the JetWay JMA3-79GDG-LF would work out best for you, since it's the only one supporting DDR2.

I'm not worried about the power supply my 650 watt comes today, but I'm looking for some more power out of this machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom