Mobo/RAM/CPU upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorn

In Runtime
It's been a while, and I've fallen out of the loop on PC tech.

My current specs are

Mobo:
Abit LG-95

CPU:
Intel E2160 Dual Core @ 1.80 GHz

RAM:
1gb DDR2-666
2gb DDR2-800

GPU:
GeForce GT 440 (1gb Vidya mem.)

PSU
Rosewill RP500-2 500W

Obviously my RAM and CPU are the major things that I need to upgrade, but I'm limited by the outdated motherboard. Any suggestions? I'm not looking for crazy power, but I'd like to increase my gaming ability.

You are better off getting a new system. We could suggest you a system for around ~350.

Your memory limit is 2GB. There is not many CPU's available that you can upgrade to.

What is your budget?

Why a new system when all I need to do is replace a few things?

Pretty decent video card, little more ram/better cpu and I'm good to go. I just can't upgrade either without a motherboard upgrade.

I'm not going to do this right now, so there isn't really a budget. I'm just looking at what my options are.

Well, in order to move to a new board, you have to reinstall Windows. And if you go up to 4GB of RAM, you will need a x64 version of Windows. Or it will only see 3.5GB. You running XP, Vista or 7?

The reason for a new setup, is to future-proof yourself. The current stuff is somewhat cheaper than what you are getting now. You can get the most current stuff. Besides, the 775 line is all but dead. DDR2 is harder to find at a competitive price. You could be paying $40 or more for 4GB, when with DDR3, you can buy 8GB for $40.

A reinstall is the least of my worries. Half an hour and I'm back in business. I'm running 7. And a switch to x64 doesn't really bother me at this point.

I understand where you're coming from, I just don't see how I would have to replace anything other than the mobo, ram, and cpu. Everything else still works.

I'm not going to do this right now, so there isn't really a budget. I'm just looking at what my options are.
Options are pretty much what they've always been, AMD or Intel.

AMD's new offering is the FX line (FX-41##/61##/81##), which reviews I've read are pretty "meh", you may be better off budget-wise going with their previous generation Phenom II X4 or X6 CPUs.

Intel has the Sandy Bridge chips out now which are excellent, though more pricey than AMD as usual, and is expected to drop their next generation Ivy Bridge sometime in May.

RAM wise either setup will use DDR3, its just a matter of how much you want (can get 8GB for <$50).
For a motherboard, its all about what features you want/need.

Well, Even an i3 2100 will do circles around his E2160..

Anything you can upgrade your current system to will be minimal.

I've always wanted to play with AMD. Seems like better bang for your buck in a sense. And I'm under the impression that I would have no problem using my current GPU with an AMD mobo.

I didn't realize RAM was so cheap now. Awesome.
The motherboard is the tricky part. I need 5.1 for the sound, and at least 1 IDE HDD connection. Other than that, pretty much anything goes I think. I'm currently using onboard sound, and only have one video card.

I've always wanted to play with AMD. Seems like better bang for your buck in a sense. And I'm under the impression that I would have no problem using my current GPU with an AMD mobo.

I didn't realize RAM was so cheap now. Awesome.
The motherboard is the tricky part. I need 5.1 for the sound, and at least 1 IDE HDD connection. Other than that, pretty much anything goes I think. I'm currently using onboard sound, and only have one video card.
Not exactly. The FX line is seriously meh when it comes to performance.

Well, Even an i3 2100 will do circles around his E2160..

Anything you can upgrade your current system to will be minimal.

With my current system, yes. But with the replacement of the motherboard, the entire system changes and can be better changed. The GPU is good enough for a while, it does not warrant an upgrade, for now at least. (Though I would appreciate input as to a good card for the future)

I am currently thinking about this motherboard, this for a RAM boost, short term, and an i5 processor. Thoughts?

It seems I will need to retire my old 500gb IDE drive at some point, but for now I need a solution to allow me to convert the IDE mobo connection to SATA, or get one of the USB ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom