MOBO and GPU Drivers

light94

Solid State Member
Newbie PC builder here... I understand that I need a few drivers: Chipset, LAN, USB, Audio, SATA3, and GPU.

vwic.jpg

1) What is the Chipset driver? Is that the same as "INF"?
2) There are 2 USB drivers available... one from ASMedia and one from Intel. What's the difference and which should I get?
3) Any other drivers that you recommend getting? I'm planning to OC to 4.2 GHz.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card (Purchased For $169.99)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (Purchased For $49.99)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)

4) For the GPU drivers, do I just download the "Catalyst Software Suite"?
What is the "Catalyst Application Profiles"?... that seems to have the newest version.

Sapphire Technology Web Site

Thanks!

To be clear, you shouldn't need any of that in the list if you are running Windows 8.

If you're running Windows 7:
1: Yes the INF is chipset drivers.
2: You need both. Intel supports 2, the others come from an ASMedia controller.
3: All you should need is SATA3, USB3, and the INF if running Windows 7. You don't need to OC that chip at all currently. It's fine stock for everything.

4: Download the 13.8 beta drivers. They were recently released and are a vast improvement over the previous WHQL. CAPs are for Crossfire.

Back
Top Bottom