Mobo/CPU/SSD update

Thresh25

Daemon Poster
Currently I have an amd phenom 2 black edition 720 with the fourth core unlocked. 4 gigs of ram that my board only allows to run at 800mhz even tho their 1066 mhz sticks. I have an HIS 6850 video card and a corsair 700 watt psu and mid size case.

What I want to do I think is switch to intel, windows 7, use my case hdd for data, psu, and video card. Then once Rome 2 comes out I'll upgrade the video card.

Here is what I put together for the cheapest possible way to do this but I could use some suggestions as I'm not really up to date with the most recent intel stuff nor SSDs.

Okay what do you guys think of this...

90$ mobo...
Newegg.com - MSI Z77A-G41 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

I've never used MSI for any parts, I found this ASUS board which I've had good success with in the past for not much more.

Newegg.com - ASUS P8B75-V LGA 1155 Intel B75 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

I don't know anything about the i5s so I'm not really sure what any of hte differences are here for the same price besides the obvious speed differences. I didn't expect the i5s to be so expensive still...

TigerDirect.com 404 Error - Page Not Found

Intel Core i5-3450 BX806237i53450 Processor - Quad Core, 3rd Generation, 6MB L3 Cache, 3.10GHz (3.50GHz Max Turbo), Socket H2 (LGA1155), 77W, Fan, Retail at TigerDirect.com

Intel Core i5-3450S BX806237i53450S Processor - Quad Core, 6MB L3 Cache, 2.80GHz (3.50GHz Max Turbo), Socket H2 (LGA1155), 65W, Fan, Retail at TigerDirect.com

I don't really know anything about SSDs either, but this one enticed me because of the free game... Is intel ok to go with for a SSD? Will 60gb be enough given the fact I'll only be putting games and the OS on it, data will be stored on my already existing hdd.

Newegg.com - Intel 330 Series Maple Crest SSDSC2CT060A3K5 2.5" 60GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Any suggestions for some good cheap ram?

Thanks a lot guys

Didn't you already have a thread?

Anyways, get the i5 3330 instead. I would also order from Newegg instead.

The MSI Z77 board is better.

That Intel SSD is good, but with 60GB you're going to be limited to basically OS, small programs (like browser, codecs, messenger, ect) and 1 big game or 2 small games. I ran with a 64GB for a while but it did become a pain when I wanted to play larger games like GTA.

I do, but was not getting responses and I need to have my finalized list ASAP as people need to be able to order these in time for me.

so what is the difference in performance then between this,

Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-3330 Ivy Bridge 3.0GHz (3.2GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637i53330
and this?
Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-3350P Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.3GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80637i53350P

This is .1ghz faster and ten bucks cheaper with the promo code.

So I'll go with the MSI board then, but do you have a better idea for a SSD then? I need one that will run my OS, BF3, shogun total war, and eventually rome total war. But it also can't break the bank.

Ram suggestions?

Sorry I missed your other thread. Didn't know you even posted those items.

The difference is simply 100MHz which you wont notice. The other difference is the P means it has no IGP. So no HD2500 graphics but since you have a video card no big deal.

Go with whichever CPU is cheaper for you as in the end you wont notice the difference.

RAM suggestions, anything Corsair, Patriot, Kingston, or G.Skill. 8GB and 1600MHz.

As for an SSD that is purely based on your budget. If you can get one of these do so.

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC064D/AM 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) Desktop Upgrade Kit
Newegg.com - Intel 330 Series Maple Crest SSDSC2CT060A3K5 2.5" 60GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

If you can afford a tad more then we can go bigger.

I thought those sizes were too small to have the big games I want to run plus the OS? What is the minimum size you think I should get? Also, I've seen some that come with universal mounts or something, do these come with everything I need?

Edit: I found a few more, any pros/con to any of these? Do they come with everything I need?
90gb 95$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820239044

90gb $90
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820239373

90gb $85
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1157184&CatId=5300

120gb 100$
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3278748&CatId=5300

Last edited:
Ah good to know, thanks a lot for all the input btw.

I've never done a build like this, however. I've done two builds from scratch with all new parts. I have vista on my existing hdd that I want to use for data, but I really don't have anything critical on it that can't be deleted. How exactly do I do the new build? Do I first install the new OS on the SSD, and then plug the hdd in afterwards? Or what exactly do I need to do to get rid of everything on the hdd?

Thanks again

I would just leave the drive unplugged and install the OS fresh (make sure AHCI is enabled in the bios first) to the SSD then plug your drive in later. After all of your drivers ect are installed plug your HDD in and let Windows set it up. After that's done go to My Computer and right click your HDD you just put in then click format. That will wipe the drive and it's ready to go.

Back
Top Bottom