mobo choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

werdna35

In Runtime
This is my current build:

http://www.techist.com/forums/f75/final-build-142261/

OK, I am having a bit of indecision about which motherboard to choose. I thought I had it all resolved, but I'm gonna be spending a lot of money on this computer so I want to make sure I have everything set and getting my best value for my money, so to speak. So I'm kind of stuck between these three:

Newegg.com - MSI P6N SLI Platinum LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Newegg.com - ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

What determines the capability of the mobo, is the FSB speed? If there is an even better choice of a mobo, please let me know about it.

The 965P-DS3 is probably the better overclocker, and the cheaper one too. The only thing it doesn't have, like the other two, is the 2nd PCI-e slot for SLI, and a 2nd PATA slot.

I agree...I would personally get the DS3...knowing i am an overclocker and knowing im not a fan of SLI, even though im running it right now hehe. But if you really are set on SLI in the future i would get the ASUS.

I'd go with none of the three but if I had too it would be either the Asus or the MSI. At that point if it's not features that you're concerned with I would consider it a coin flip. But that's just me.

Well overclocking isn't much of a concern. If I do it, it won't be for a long time after I have had the system and it won't be very much.

If you want features such as SLI, additional SATA and USB ports, as well as overclocking, I'd go for the MSI P6N Platinum.

MSI's overclock pretty good as well. It also has another PCI-E slot for an option to SLI in the future. You might not like SLIing right now but if you need the power of the 8800GTX you can just buy a cheaper 8800GTS in the future rather than buying the more expensive card and forgeting about the cheaper card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom