Mixing 2x512MB Premium RAM with 2x512MB value RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan Bones

Baseband Member
I've got a Chaintech VNF4/Ultra, 3200+, 7800GT, XP Pro x64. It currently has 2x512MB plain Crucial RAM.

Kingston HyperX RAM is on sale for $35 a stick of 512MB. So for $70, I could double up to 2GB of RAM.

Would this be a good purchase? I'm thinking 2GB is much better than 1GB, even if it can't all run in dual channel, etc. I'd rather have 2x1GB, but this is a really good deal (and I wouldn't have to sell the RAM I have). Is it likely there would be problems?

Thank you.

You will just loose the speed of your faster sticks (will match the slower)

You should have to change anything. It should work right after you stick them in.

Should I care that I'm not using my RAM to its maximum potential? I mean, 2GB is 2GB, right?

I can:

A) Buy the sticks, upgrade to 4x512MB mismatched for $70.

B) Wait and add a stick of 1x1GB to bring me to 2GB. (At today's prices, about $110-- $40 more to go to 2GB.)

C) Sell my 2x512 and buy 2x1GB. (Expensive and a hassle.)

Is A) stupid in any way? I don't expect to need more than 2GB total in this system, using all four slots is fine. And I'm not a performance freak-- I don't OC RAM. I might OC my CPU using stock cooling, but that's it.

If you are going to use 2GB most of the time. Its worth it. (even if its slower - since it will work much better than 1GB)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom