Minor upgrades to an old desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooner

Beta member
Hi guys,

Recently one of my favourite games had an update (graphics) and my computer can't run it anymore. I really don't want to buy another computer (my parents won't let me anyways). I decided a few minor upgrades might be able to run the game.

My Computer Specifications

Processor: Intel Pentium 4, 2800 MHz (14 x 200)

Motherboard: Dell Dimension 1100/B110

Video card: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller (96 MB) (Onboard)

Memory: 2x (256mb)

PSU: Unknown company 350W

Upgrades that I think might work

Video card: SPARKLE SP95GT1024D2LHP GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 128-bit DDR2 PCI HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card (no PCI-E slot on motheboard, only PCI)

Memory: (2x) PQI POWER Series 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 333 (PC 2700) Desktop Memory Model MD341GUOE

PSU: Sunbeam PSU-BKS-480-US 480W ATX12V Power Supply - OEM

Total: $207

Limit: $200 (but i can pay $7 more :) )

Questions

1) Will these upgrades be compatible?

2) Will these upgrades be able to run these games: ijji - Where Gamers Unite!

3) Will these upgrades by able to run windows vista? or maybe windows 7? (heres to hoping)

Oh, btw, location: Canada

Thanks Guys :)

In short:
1) Technically yes, though Dell has a history of using their own case standards so it's probable that PSU won't fit in the Dell case. (Also, are you sure that your motherboard will accept as much as 2x1GB of RAM?)
2) Yes, easily.
3) I wouldn't try running either Windows 7 or Vista on a Pentium 4, though it could probably 'work'. If you're running XP currently, I would stick with it.

In long:
You certainly can upgrade, though I would highly recommend saving for a new PC at this point. Trying to upgrade it now is forcing you to buy old, outdated parts (PCI graphics and DDR RAM, which won't be transferable in the event that you do buy or build a new PC - kinda like flogging a dead horse (to distort a metaphor). You will get better performance than you do at the minute, but with that $200 you could buy vastly better parts.

Opps, forgot to check how much memory the motherboard can accept, be right back...

I just did a quick google search and apparently it can support up to 2GB of memory (2 x 1GB). Well thats good :)

Link to source: Computer memory upgrades for Dell Dimension 1100 Desktop/PC from Crucial.com

1) Hm... now you gave me some things to think about :), but i was wondering if that PSU is good or not (scared because of the really cheap price o_O)

2) Well thats great, that was my main objective :)

3) Lol, it was just wishful thinking :). XP is great anyways

Actually i am saving for a new PC (seperate savings for that :) ), but in the mean time i want to upgrade this PC so i can atleast do something on it (It can barely play any games). It will mostly be used for surfing after i build a new pc (from scratch). :)

My explanation: That power supply is built using inferior components, and the rated watts are maximum, not continuous. The reason you want a continuous rated wattage is because it will run for long periods of time and still supply the power. Max rated power supplies will only supply that power for brief periods, so in the end what you get is much less than they advertised. And they technically get away with false advertisement because it's not false if it can sustain their rating for a few seconds.

Abstract Hero's explanation: It's poopy.

Abstract Hero wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom