Minor, maybe major upgrades to old HP Pavilion a347x

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikings09

Beta member
OK. so i have an HP Pavilion a347x. Well, actually its my girlfriends. I have a Gigabyte 8600GT Graphics Card laying around. She loves the sims but her computer sucks. I don't know if her motherboard would be compatible with this card. This is HP Site for computer specs. I would rather use this card than have to buy a new one since its just sitting there.

HP Pavilion a347x Desktop PC Product Specifications HP Pavilion a347x Desktop PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

I am not that great with computers but i thought i might put this card to use. If the motherboard is not compatible, will this motherboard work? Asus M2N68-LA Narra Motherboard for a Compaq Presario SR5019UK Desktop PC

sorry for all the questions and thanks for all your help in advance

dang man, she's runnin an ancient rig lol.

anyway, it looks like her hp's motherboard has little in the way of expansion slots, it only has 3 pci slots so if your 8600gt has a pci interface (not pci-e) then it would be compatible, if it doesn't have a pci interface then it will not work.

and it's kinda the same for your second question regarding the other motherboard, although it has more up-to-date slots (it as pci-e x16 slot, an x1 and 2 pci slots), if your 8600gt has a x16, x1, or pci interface it would be compatible with that second board, if it doesn't then it won't work.

just to make sure though, when you mentioned that second motherboard, i hope you weren't thinkin about swapping the hp's board with that second one because it wouldn't work, it has a completely different cpu socket and uses a different type of ram, again just a heads up if that's what you were thinking.

ok. thanks for the help. I looked at the specifications and the video card lists this

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-NX86T256H GeForce 8600 GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

so i'm thinking its not gonna work with this computer. Would you be able to recommend me another video card that is compatible with this computer? i know it old, but she can't afford to buy another one. I would rather she be able to play games like the sims at a good resolution and not choppy like the sims 2 plays now. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom