Mini PCI-E into a desktop. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 10-14-2009, 01:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Mini PCI-E into a desktop.

Okay. I have a gateway GT5432 desktop, I not so recently added a 750GB HD in it i bought from a guy I play counter-strike with. When I installed that, I didn't know based on the angle that my harddrive are at (facing the side not the back) I needed to use a '1 Right Angled SATA Cable' for some reason I swapped the cable and put the angled one on the new harddrive and a regular cable on the first hard drive. So when I go to put the side panel back on, I had difficulty, till I broke the clip on the main hard drive.

I just recently lanned with my computer and when ever I move the case or touch it slightly my system locks up then tries to go into network boot when I restart until I get done putting the cable in the position just right after about 30 minutes.

So now I've been looking at SSD hard drives and I wanted to know if a mini PCI-E one will fit into the 1x slot on my PCI-E motherboard. I've been looking around for a answer for awhile. I think it would but I can't find evidence of that being true. I don't want to spend money on something that might work. You know?

Old 10-14-2009, 02:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default Re: Mini PCI-E into a desktop.

Generally SSD Drives are external USB flash drives
Also SSD drives are not as robust as standard Sata Drives
You need to get your Sata cable properly fitted, can you provide a clear pic of your issue with it?

Old 10-14-2009, 08:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

So you broke the SATA connector on the primary drive? Why didn't you just buy a right angle cable, they aren't exactly expensive? Anyway SSDs connect to your SATA controller like a standard HDD so you don't have to worry about PCI/PCI-e slots (but you do need to check you have a spare SATA connector and somewhere to mount a 2.5" drive).

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 10-14-2009, 11:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Almighty Forensica

Originally Posted by kimsland View Post
Generally SSD Drives are external USB flash drives
Also SSD drives are not as robust as standard Sata Drives
Sorry, that's incorrect. Pretty much all SSDs are internal, I don't think I've ever seen an external SSD. And SSDs are a great deal more robust as they have no moving parts, i.e. if you drop them they won't break anywhere near as easily as hard drives.
Desktop i5-4440 - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 - EVGA GTX970 - 4x4GB 1600MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - Be Silent Base 800 - 3TB+1TB+640GB
Laptop i7-3740QM @ 2.7GHz, 2x4GB 1600Mhz, GT640M, OCZ Agility 3 120GB
Smartphone HTC One M8 - Sense 7 - 6.0

Uni MSci Ethical Hacking, Coventry University
Work Trainee Cell Site Analyst
LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Old 10-14-2009, 12:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

I don't know if the mini PCI-E will work or not, as I am not sure that netbooks and desktops use the save slot.

The 2.5" drives work in desktops, but you would need an adapter: - OCZ OCZACSSDBRKT2 Solid State Drive 3.5" Adaptor Bracket 2 - HDD Accessories

EDIT: Mini PCIe cards need adapters, too.

Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / EVGA GTX 760 2GB
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB / WD Red 3TB
G.SKILL Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3 1600 - Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win7 Ult 64-bit - Func MS3 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Closed Thread