Mid Spec, Intel Celeron D PC...any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alvin.C

Fully Optimized
Hello,

My bro is looking at getting rid of his current computer to make room for a new one.

...For those curious minds, he currently has an Intel Celeron 466Mhz PC, with 384MB SDRAM, Intel AL440LX Motherboard, ATI Radeon 9200 Graphics Card...

He wants to custom build a new computer that's both cheap as can be and relliable. He doesn't want to spend alot of money on it, and isn't looking for a high spec machine- just something that will do the job. He doesn't game much. He just wants a machine that's capable of surfing the Internet, burning CDs, listening to music, watching movies and for work related tasks.

He already has a PSU, graphics card, hard drive, CD-RW drive and ATX case...

He's come up with a custom build, with the following components all from http://www.ebuyer.com :

~ £54.78 - Intel Celeron D330J 2.66Ghz Socket 775.
~ £19.29 - Crucial 256MB DDR400 PC3200 DIMM.
~ £34.00 - PC Chips MA57G Socket 775 DDR400 AGP 8x.

Is this a reliable setup?
What wattage PSU would he need?
Is it a good choice of socket?
Can you verify, is it the right speed of RAM?

Does anyone have any better configurations? He really doesn't want to spend more than £120, and this configuration totals to £108.07 including VAT. If he can, he'd very much prefer buying all components from ebuyer.com, because he'd only have to pay one P+P fee...

My concern is the motherboard. It has however been rated good in some ebuyer reviews, but that still doesn't satisfy me. I think the choice of socket is good though, because he can upgrade to a P4 in the future if he wants to.

I have tried persuading him to buy a Celeron D EMT64 capable processor, even if it's only plus £10 or so, but he really wants to conserve money.

Any ideas? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom