MEMORY vs. Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

yangmanrui

Baseband Member
I have bought new 1GB DDR2 memory and put replaced my old 256MB in my computer. When I turned the computer on, I was greeted by a black screen. No BIOS beeping, nothing - only fan and some limited HDD activity.) I put the old one in, at it worked O.K. Then I put the new one again - nothing. Finally, I put the original one in and the computer stopped working - black screen, only fan was on.

any ideas?

Man rui

I have bought new 1GB DDR2 memory and put replaced my old 256MB in my computer. When I turned the computer on, I was greeted by a black screen. No BIOS beeping, nothing - only fan and some limited HDD activity.) I put the old one in, at it worked O.K. Then I put the new one again - nothing. Finally, I put the original one in and the computer stopped working - black screen, only fan was on.

any ideas?

Man rui

Take out your CMOS battery for 15 seconds and then put it back in and take the jumper and move it from pins 1 and 2 to 2 and 3 for 5 seconds and then move it back to 1 and 2.

Any questions just ask.

also did you make sure that your RAM was the same type as your old one or your computer supports that type of ram.

Like DDR 667 or DDR 800 you have to make sure that they are the same or your motherboard supports that type.

Thank you very, very much for that piece of advice. I just removed the battery, popped it back in and my old memory started to work. You're right about the speed, the new one was 667, however the box indicated that it was compatible with the old one.
thanks again,

Man rui

If you have a system that is just 256mb of ram, it is probably DDR memory and NOT DDR2. You will have to find out what types of memory your motherboard supports before buying new memory.

Thank you very, very much for that piece of advice. I just removed the battery, popped it back in and my old memory started to work. You're right about the speed, the new one was 667, however the box indicated that it was compatible with the old one.
thanks again,

Man rui

Your Welcome and Surge is right try to find out what speed and type of ram your motherboard is compatable with before you try to upgrade yourself.

I checked and the correct memory is DDR2 pc2 4200 at 533Mhz. ( That's the original one).
Manrui

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom