Memory upgrade; did I do something wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjlmbklr

Solid State Member
I have a 2.7GHz Pent that came with 512 MB. I decided i wanted to upgrade to the computers highest capacity it could handle, 1 GB. I asked around and found it would be cheapest to just put another 512 stick in. So I went to the local computer store had the guy match it up and came home and installed it. In my system information screen it shows I do have a GB of memory now (or should I say 0.99 GB)

sysMemory.jpg

The reason I ask if I did anything wrong is because I have not noticed any improvements in speed, but more of a decrease if anything. I now have occasional problems when I open web page it won't load completely, or a media file like a Windows media video will start to buffer, but hang up. I will then have to refresh, or sometimes it will play the video but stop in the middle and do the same thing. I also have been getting those dreaded "windows has incountered an error" message quite a bit lately.

Any advice is greatly apreciated.

Thanks
:eek:

Ram doesn't speed up your internet, Ram increases your Windows based applications [i.e. MS Word, Photoshop, ect..]

The speed that your web pages load are based on your Network card or your modem speed

And yes if you have 1GB of ram installed it will offen come up as .99gb, or 824GB

That is what I suspected. I upgraded to help with the speed when I am coping DVD's. But is there any relation to the issues I am having now to the recent upgrade in RAM?

If its a web page that doesn't completely load, then No, that IS NOT a ram problem...that is a web based problem

And as for copying DVD's it should help a bit, but it also depends on how big/how many files you are putting on the DVD.

And the speed of your righter [8x / 16x]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom