Memory Upgrade Acer Aspire T160 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 04-21-2010, 01:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Memory Upgrade Acer Aspire T160

Hey Folks,

I've got a Acer Aspire Desktop T160 and I'm looking to upgrade the Memory in it, it's got 4 slots for memory each one holds a max of 1 GB of DDR PC3200 memory either 333 or 400 mhz, only problem is, I'm buying the memory for it off of Ebay and there seems to be both low and high density memory for it. The low density stuff is nearly double the price of the high density. I`m wondering if the board can take the high density memory or if it will make a difference. I`m guessing that the 512 MB it currently has in it is low density. Any insight from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
muffin enthusiast
Default Re: Memory Upgrade Acer Aspire T160

ebay has a write up about just this which could help clear some stuff up for you,
eBay Guides - Myth Low Density vs High Density memory modules

gathering from that ^, basically high density memory is meant more for server applications and not designed for use in a pc.

and they go on to mention this,
Due to unusability and high incompatibility of high density modules with standard PC, they are FAR CHEAPER, usually about half the price when compare with low density modules and a lot of buyers have fallen into attractive CHEAP PRICE trap by High Density module sellers and have complained that they will not run at all and sellers would not accept return!

Old 04-22-2010, 02:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Memory Upgrade Acer Aspire T160

So does anyone know for sure that this board will not take high density memory?
Closed Thread