Memory upgrade? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 10:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Memory upgrade?

I have a pentium4 2.4ghz, 512mb ddr ram, Nvidia mx420 grafix card and Ive been running WOW. The game has some slowdown,(more than is bearable). My question is should I upgrade to 1G of ram?, would this help? My current ram is 266mhz. My buddy says that I should just let him build me one for $400,but I can buy 1G for $41. Another friend has a pentium4 at 1.8mhz with 1G of ram running onboard video and he says his runs fine. Please help

Old 05-27-2008, 10:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Default Re: Memory upgrade?

you probably would want to look into getting a new gfx card, as that is your weak point in the system. Also upgrading to 1gb of ram would be a solid upgrade. another thing you might want to look into is a whole new computer. you're current rig is a bit dated, and for around 500-600 bucks you could get a solid rig that would perform most current games on playable settings for a long while.

also, welcome to TF, enjoy your stay

A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

thank you, but do u think that just memory will make any difference? i think if im going to buy a grafx card i might as well buy the whole thing?
Old 05-27-2008, 10:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

it depends on what else you use your system for. If all you do is simple things and WOW then a gfx card upgrade might not be a bad idea. If you have an AGP slot then a gfx card upgrade would be relatively in-expensive and worth while if you don't have higher gaming aspirations for that rig. and if you want a whole new rig we can make some good suggestions on that matter as well!
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

thanks for the help peter
Old 05-27-2008, 10:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

Going to a gig will definitely help, as would a new GFX card. Just make sure not to buy more card than your PSU will power.

$400 can build a low-end gaming comp. We will be happy to help you put something together.

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Closed Thread