Memory Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Army11b

Baseband Member
I currently have 1 512mb chip on my mb in slot 0 and was curious if I can pop my old 256k chip in the second slot.. This is probably a dumb question because in my experience and if i remember correctly, each slot has to have the same amount installed for it to work, but figured id check here just in case. Thanks

Matt

Well I tried popping in my old 256mb chip and nothing happened.. It still says I have 512mb. Anyone know how I can get it to work if its possible? Thanks

Matt

Are the two memory modules the same technology?? PC3200 DDR400, PC2700 DDR333, etc?? Some motherboards don't like mixed memory.. Usually, the amount of memory isn't an issue (512MB vs. 256MB), but if the two modules are of differing technology, that could be the issue..

Another thing you may want to try it swapping the location of the memory modules and see what happens..

Yes they are both pc2700.. Ill try putting the 256mb chip in the first bank.. thanks!

Matt

Yes they are both pc2700.. Ill try putting the 256mb chip in the first bank.. thanks!
It shouldn't matter which one. But there could be something wrong with the second one. Also even if they were different mhz it would not matter, the higher clocked one down clocks to the speed of the slower one.

I swapped them (256 chip in 1st slot and 512 in second) and now it works, got 768 yay lol.. Thanks fellas!

Matt

Glad to hear that you got it working now.. It was an odd thought, but some of the older motherboards are weird in how they want the memory installed.. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom