Memory Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpanishSurfer

Beta member
Hello, I'm new to this forum and I appreciate any help you fellas can give me. I recently upgraded to a A8N-SLI Premium/AMDX2 4200 64/Asus 7600GT and am using my old ram (2X512mb DDR Atla Precision) and have noticed that I am not getting the speeds I'm wanting. I figured that doubling my ram would probably do the trick.

My question is should I buy 2 more sticks of the same ram I have now (2X512mb) or just buy a whole new set of ram (2X1gb). Any help is appreciated, thanks!

I'm looking at buying this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145575

Can no one on here tell me the disadvantage of buying 2X512 and adding it to my mobo instead of just buying 2x1024? Thought this was a tech forum.

first off....I am not a tech....I'm still learning.
Second, seems a bit sarcastic in the reply....not recommended.
Third: from what I have been told recently, it is faster to page 1 g or ram at 512 x 2 then to page 2 g of ram at 512 x 4. It is also faster to process 2 x 1g.
I have 4 x 512 on the same mobo. I am removing 1 g for now until I can buy 2 x 1 g sticks.

Ok, that helps me a little. Just how much of a difference are we talking between 4x512mb vs 2x1gb? Why did you remove 2x512? Thanks for your help.

Oh, What's wrong with sarcasm, don't you have a sense of humor?

SpanishSurfer said:
Ok, that helps me a little. Just how much of a difference are we talking between 4x512mb vs 2x1gb? Why did you remove 2x512? Thanks for your help.

With what said above, there is no difference in quantity of ram. I removed, well, I will remove 2 x 512 because it is slower than the cpu searching thru 4 x 512.
It is better to have less ram modules than to have more.........
kinda of like you searching for a file in file cabinets. Would you rather search through 4 cabinets or 2? This is the best I can do for now. (not sure why this text is included in the quote)

Oh, What's wrong with sarcasm, don't you have a sense of humor?
Internet sarcasim can be taken a many of ways......use the smileys if you think you need to use sarcasism. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom