Memory, Motherboard and Vista - Won't Work! Please Help! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 03-11-2009, 04:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Memory, Motherboard and Vista - Won't Work! Please Help!

I am having some problems getting 4GB of memory to work with my new build running Windows Vista Ultimate. I have the following:

Motherboard: Asus P5N73-AM ASUS P5N73-AM GeForce 7050 Socket 775 onboard Graphics 8 channel audio mATX Motherboard - Ebuyer
Memory: OCZ 2x2GB DDR2 800 Mhz PC2-6400 Gold XTC Memory Kit CL5 (5-5-5-18) OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800Mhz/PC2-6400 GOLD XTC Memory Kit CL5(5-5-5-18) - Ebuyer

When I have the 4GB installed, Windows will not boot. It will keep restarting itself or come up with errors that read 'Vista cannot boot....' However, when I take one of the 2GB sticks out, it boots fine with no problems and errors. I had the same problem when trying to load Windows on. I had the CD/DVD drive set to boot on start up so that it would read the disk, but with 4GB in, I had many blue screens appear. As soon as I took a stick out, it worked fine. I have taken both sticks out, left one in, took that out, tried the other in alone, in both slots to make sure I haven't got a faulty stick or any faulty slots, which I don't think I have because it works fine with one 2GB stick in. As soon as I put both of the sticks in, I have problems! The motherboard I have says it can support up to 4GB and Vista.

Does anyone have any suggestions that could be done to help?

Or will I need to replace the motherboard?

Closed Thread