Memory, dual channel or not - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2014, 07:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: Memory, dual channel or not

Sorry man, didn't even see you posted an issue.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Newb Techie

pp_mguire you know ASRock boards well. I have a couple of questions about this one. First the USB has power even when the system is off. Is there any way to change this? Second, the SATA ports do not always detect the HD. What I mean by this is when I first started the system SATA port 0 did not detect the drive. I moved the drive to port 1 and the drive was found. Later I unplugged the power to install a wireless card and now port 1 would not see the drive. Moved the drive back to port 0 and it detected the drive. By detected I mean the BIOS would or would not see the drive. What could cause this? Thanks again for the help.

Dallas Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Build Guru

USB having power is a thing on some boards. There might be a setting in the bios to change this but I'm not sure. Consult the manual (online one would be better) to find out for sure.

As to the SATA thing, that sounds like a borked drive to me or maybe a bad cable.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I looked in the BIOS for a way to turn off the USB and haven't found it yet.

On the drive that was my first thought. I changed the SATA cable and it made no difference. Changed to Sata port 1 and it worked fine. Unplugged the power to make changes and it would not see the drive again. Back to Sata port 0 and it worked fine.

While it is running fine at the moment I think I will clone the drive to a different WD drive just to be sure. I have 2 WD blue 160 gb drives that I had plans to put in an extra Cisco NAS but I think I will repurpose one of them to be the OS drive for this system.

Dallas Jack is offline   Reply With Quote