Memory: can I go above my system's maximum value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

White_Wolf

Baseband Member
My computer is currently running with 2 banks of 128MB SDRAM. My system says it's upgradeable to 512MB. I'd hate to have to buy two new memory sticks of 256, and then have 2 128MB sticks of memory to throw away. I just don't think the cost is worth it.

However if I could get two 512MB memory sticks to boost me to 1GB, I think that'd be worth it. But my system says it's only upgradeable to 512MB.

I was thinking, is there any tweak I could do to allow my system to recognize more memory? Or is it a matter of having to buy a new motherboard?

no... the max is the most the mobo will see.... not how much is the limit.......

^Agreed. Running XP alone requires 256 supposedly, but really it needs 512 to be anywhere near smooth. Overall though, unless your doing little but checking email and internet usage, your really wasting your money on memory when you could be saving up for a value rig.

^Agreed. Running XP alone requires 256 supposedly, but really it needs 512 to be anywhere near smooth. Overall though, unless your doing little but checking email and internet usage, your really wasting your money on memory when you could be saving up for a value rig.

I have $90. I have no income... And I live on the internet. This computer is all I have *breaks down and cries*.

Though I have been looking into building my own computer to save money. It'll be a while before I can find a way to scrounge up a few hundred dollars, and it'll take me that long to figure out how to build a computer. The way I see it, all I need is a motherboard, processor, memory, audio card, video card. Do heatsinks and CPU fans come with a processor when you buy it?

I already have a tower, floppy drive, power supply, CD burner, printer, monitor, keyboard, mouse.

Unfortunately for me I don't understand things like "Chip Set" and "Socket"

If you already have a lot of the stuff you don't need to spend too much money. You can buy these (or similar):
Newegg.com - Foxconn MCP61SM2MA-ERS2H Socket AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103735
Newegg.com - OCZ Value Series 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5400) Desktop Memory - Retail
And have a nice setup for very little money. Not quite $90 but not much more, either. I'd be a little worried that your psu isn't going to work(if you're reusing the one from your HP then it probably won't), but it's something to think about.

The heatsink and fan will be included with the processor, if you buy it retail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom