Memory - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 03-03-2006, 11:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Memory

I have a dell dimension 8300, got it almost 3 yrs ago I think so I know its not too crappy of a PC yet, but Im starting to have trouble with its speed. its getting a little sluggish when I want to use it for anything besides internet... ie I just got the sims 2 and an expansion pack, well I went to install it and start it up.... yeah It took forever for the game to pop up. I run defrag and clean up often but it just seems whenever I try running anything thats gonna actually make the computer work, it acts like its gonna die on me. If I get more memory will it help or is there something Im missing? I dont know the exact specs of the computer which is why I put what I have at the beginning, dont think they make the dimension 8300 anymore though

Old 03-03-2006, 11:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Its not memory alone. The speed of the hard drive majorly effects this.

You should get at least 1GB of memory a good video card (6600GT or higher) and a fast HD.

Old 03-03-2006, 11:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Field Engineer
Send a message via AIM to SHAWN

How much memory do you have installed? I would download the SpySweeper trial and run a scan. You can uninstall it when your done. I would do the same with Microsoft Defender. Its free from their home page. Also, run a free Trend micro online scan in safe mode with networking. Run msconfig and remove some startup programs that dont need to start up. Post back results when complete.
A+, Network + , HP Certified Tech and MCP

Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1095T, Asus M477TD, 8GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 7-8-7-24 1T, 128GB Crucial M4 SSD, ATi HD4650, W7, 27" HL272 Monitor
Old 03-04-2006, 02:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

ok, did first two (spy sweeper and defender) not sure how to get in safe mode with networking or back into the startup programs list, i always forget. tried to open up game again, I get a little warning icon on task bar on bottom right that says virtual memory is low.... how do I raise that?

and how do I find out how much memory I currently have?
Old 03-04-2006, 04:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

click start, then click control panel, then click performance and maintenance then click system. a screen should pop up giving the basic info of ur comp. the memory should be in the bottom right corner.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

256 MB of RAM

ok starting to remember how to get all my info

Pentium 4 2.8G
Creative SB Live
NVIDA Geforce FX 5200
40G HD

think I need to get some RAM befor anything, but should I think about upgrading anything else?
Old 03-04-2006, 09:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

wow you really need to upgrade the ram, 256mb is really low in today's standards, at least upgrade to 1GB because everything else is fine, you should probably get a bigger HD too

Closed Thread