Mem Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
You might want to look into your bios under DRAM configuartion and see if your ram is running at 200mhz

My friend mentioned to me that it might underclock when it's not being needed. How would I check this?

Yea, DDR memory is actually only half as effective as it's advertised speed. Like PC3200 400mhz memory runs at 200mhz really I believe. DDR2 runs at it's effective speed though, although it suffers from slow timings. So in reality, your memory is running at 323mhz. Definetly look into the issue in your BIOS.

Brtnboarder495 said:
Yea, DDR memory is actually only half as effective as it's advertised speed. Like PC3200 400mhz memory runs at 200mhz really I believe. DDR2 runs at it's effective speed though, although it suffers from slow timings. So in reality, your memory is running at 323mhz. Definetly look into the issue in your BIOS.

Yeah I know DDR runs at half of what the DDR # is because it does 2 things at once. DDR400 = 200mhz * 2. That's why I wanna know why my RAM is only running at 161mhz not 200mhz.

I haven't checked the DRAM settings in the BIOS yet. I have been doing a ton of homework all day. Typing up essays so I haven't had much of a chance to check.

Yeah, some BIOS (mine included) will default to a lower setting for hardware like a CPU FSB or RAM speed.

Change that and you should be good to go. Incidentally, I just bought some new PC3200 yesterday and found that my benchmarking was slightly better at 133 mhz vs. 200 mhz. Go figure.

Well I figured out that my motherboard downclocks it automatically if I don't need it.

Bengance, 133mhz could have a higher benchmark because when I put my RAM at DDR333 speeds, my CAS Latency lowers. Yours could do the same.

"Well I figured out that my motherboard downclocks it automatically if I don't need it."

Never heard of that, but have heard of and experianced first hand that mixing memory brands will default to a lower speed even though they are both pc3200. Its the mixing that messes things up. Do you have all the same brand memory in your pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom