Media Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

handenry

Beta member
I'm putting together a media server for myself and some room mates of mine. I'm probably going to run linux, and it'll work either via wi-fi or vpn from a remote site (depending on the university's policies).

I don't wanna go with a prefab media server from buffalo--too much proprietary stuff.

For what its worth, ill be running an apple and like four pc's on the server.

you can use "file sharing" on one computer which is the simplest and how mine started but as It grew with members (467 different computers have logged on since september and 320 members that check atleast once a week) I have moved to apache and created an intranet site that is like a normal website except only available when logged on to the same network as the host computer just to warn you a media server eats your memory like no tommorow my server box has 10x750gb and a quad core cpu with 8gb of ram I can subsidise the cost by charging users of the server £5-£10 a month depending on what year group they are in. You should also write a semi legal statement just so your server has some form of legal backing if by a highly unlikely chance you get caught for infringing on copyright laws

send me pm if you need more help

Well I think its going to be a private network--nothing of the scale you're talking about. I would open it up, but I highly doubt the network here at my college would go for that. For something small, like a 10-person private network, what do you think?

lol mine started as a private network for just my freinds who live in my boarding house so was 12 people in the original plan but then word got around and I expanded it accordingly I made it into subscription service to justify the hardware cost. But if it is just you and your freinds the simplest way is just to use file sharing over the network and tell them your I.P. they can connect and copy what they want problem solved :D

so should i even bother to set up a separate system as a server, or should i just use my macbook?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom