MB stopped detecting RAM - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 03:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default MB stopped detecting RAM

like the subject says, my mobo has stopped detecting one stick of my ram. (i have two sticks of 1GB DDR2) I switched the ram in each socket, but the computer still onlly recognizes 1GB. Are there any general causes of this other than the mobo going bad?

Old 12-18-2009, 03:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to Naphtali14 Send a message via MSN to Naphtali14 Send a message via Yahoo to Naphtali14
Default Re: MB stopped detecting RAM

Actually it sounds more like a stick of RAM going bad. That would be more common than the MOBO going bad.

Have you made sure that they're seated properly?
Have you reset the cmos?

Old 12-18-2009, 04:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yeah, the ram is in there properly. Now that you mention it, I don't recall if when I switched them around if I tested them individually or not. i'll do that when I get home.
I've not done anything with any hardware settings yet for it is a dark and scary place they reside... I feel at this point I know just enough about the BIOS to really make a fantastic mess of things.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to Naphtali14 Send a message via MSN to Naphtali14 Send a message via Yahoo to Naphtali14

Yes, I would first test each stick in each slot individually. If one stick is bad then thats that. Its like 10-15$ for a new one. If they both work individually I would first try resetting the CMOS. Its a very simple process.

1. Unplug the computer.
2. Find the CMOS battery (it looks like a big watch battery and is located on the motherboard.)
3. Remove the CMOS battery.
4. Wait a good minute or two.
5. Put the CMOS battery back in.
6. Plug the PC back in.
7. See if the RAM is recognized.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

So, if the ram is bad, what should/could happen when the computer starts up? I left one of the sticks out and the computer completely refused to send a video signal... There had been a couple other issues I bumped into during that process, so I'm not sure if that's the ram, or if I may've had the video card seated improperly.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

Typically if there is no RAM at all your motherboard will beep loudly. So if one stick is bad it should do that. What MOBO do you have? Did you try leaving just one stick in with each stick?

Yes, I would makes sure that the video card is seated properly as well <.< just make sure that it firmly clicks in when reseating it.

Closed Thread