Making the most of Black Friday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

walkerneo

Beta member
The past few years I've felt like I really missed out for not having taken advantage of the Black Friday sales. The problem is that I don't really know what to look for when buying a computer. I wouldn't know the differences between two computers that have a 2.4ghz processor, 500gb hard drive, and 4gb of memory. What should I know about RAM, CPUs, and graphics cards, and where do learn?

The past few years I've felt like I really missed out for not having taken advantage of the Black Friday sales. The problem is that I don't really know what to look for when buying a computer. I wouldn't know the differences between two computers that have a 2.4ghz processor, 500gb hard drive, and 4gb of memory. What should I know about RAM, CPUs, and graphics cards, and where do learn?

Let me google that for you

You read forums, ask sensible questions.

A computer can be tailored to your budget and use.

Comng here, or any forum, and reading up on other peoples builds is a great start.

Welcome to our forum.

Be wary of Black Friday deals.

I worked in retail for many years and manufacturers have a tendency to make products specifically for Black Friday deals.
When they sell a computer for hundreds of dollars less than one with the same specs they sell the rest of the year it means they've usually cut corners somewhere.

This isn't to say that you can't get good items on Black Friday (or Cyber Monday), its just that you have to think about what might have gotten downgraded to make it so much cheaper, and they don't usually make it obvious to the customer.

I worked retail for years and there is always something about black friday computers that makes them cheaper.

Decide what you're going to use it for. Office use, games or something else. There are different things to look for in cpu and gpu specs but ram doesn't matter too much... but with windows 7 I'd recommend 4GBs

3 of my kids currently work in retail. They tell me that the stuff their stores put on sale during Black Friday is mostly crap they couldn't get rid of previously.

I personally avoid the Black Friday sales and take off in my RV for the Thanksgiving 4 day weekend! I refuse to stand in line or jostle with crowds of people to try to save a few bucks.

i always preferred cyber mondays.

and do they really make cheaper variants of the same product? that seems far fetched. im sure its just regular cheap stuff that they unload on that day. a lot of the "$100 FLAT SCREEN FLAT PANEL ULTRA HIGH DEF HD*" are just crap vizio and westernhouse or somesuch that are generally in that price range anyways. and are worth what you are paying.

*720p

and do they really make cheaper variants of the same product? that seems far fetched.
When the pre-craze flyers come out for Black Friday deals check the model numbers of the "too good to be true" items against items with the same specs from the manufacturer's website that are full retail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom